attn Nerds - how do I unlock my wifi to connect Ipod Touch

Warning - complete technical goof here so plain english and very simple instructions required!

Bought daughter an Ipod Touch for Christmas. Wanted to connect it to my WiFi network so is all ready to go when she unwraps.

I have two laptops in the house that operate wirelessly - and the Thompson router says WiFi enabled on the bottom so assume I have WiFi (but happy to be corrected if there is something else I have to do).

When going into setting on the Ipod, I bring up my network easy peasy (yay).

When I then go to join the network and put in my modem pin number (the WPA/WEP number) I am advised on the Ipod that I am unable to join the network. My router PIN number and BigPond customer passwords don't work either.

I do notice that when I bring up the available networks, next to the signal strength icon of my network there is a padlock icon ... do I have to unlock this? If so, any suggestion as to how?

I have sent an email to BigPond support - but goodness knows how long it will take them to reply.

Sounds to me as if you have a secured network (which is good! stops the neighbours getting in and stealing your wireless) but there should have been your own password you set up and those laptops obviously have that stored.

Who set up the wireless to begin with? Do you have a normal password you use for things? That may work I dont think its the one on the router otherwise if someone could write that down you'd be in. Its just some password to join the network which would have been set up in the beginning.

Don't you remember the apple add. "Im a PC" etc.

Nerds don't use apple products apparently.

I preferred the you tube version; I'm a Wii v I'm an Xbox.

Warning - complete technical goof here so plain english and very simple instructions required!

Bought daughter an Ipod Touch for Christmas. Wanted to connect it to my WiFi network so is all ready to go when she unwraps.

I have two laptops in the house that operate wirelessly - and the Thompson router says WiFi enabled on the bottom so assume I have WiFi (but happy to be corrected if there is something else I have to do).

When going into setting on the Ipod, I bring up my network easy peasy (yay).

When I then go to join the network and put in my modem pin number (the WPA/WEP number) I am advised on the Ipod that I am unable to join the network. My router PIN number and BigPond customer passwords don't work either.

I do notice that when I bring up the available networks, next to the signal strength icon of my network there is a padlock icon ... do I have to unlock this? If so, any suggestion as to how?

I have sent an email to BigPond support - but goodness knows how long it will take them to reply.

Lizzie,

Are you confident you have the correct WEP key? It should be either 10 or 26characters....

You're looking in the wrong place lizzie.

Go to any laptop that is currently connected to your wireless network.
Bring up the wireless network connections available.
Right mouse click on the one you're connected to.
From the 3 options, choose "properties". (The other 2 options are 'disconnect' or 'status')
You'll get a box that says "wireless network properties"
There are 2 tabs, choose the one that says "security" (the other one says "connection")
On the 3rd line down you will see "Network security key"
Underneath that you'll need to click the "show characters" box
These are the characters you need for the iPod connection

Simple hey? :)

Yeh - but - it's the same as my WEP/WPA number (10 characters) which isn't working - sob!

With the laptops I just typed in the WEP number and they worked - why is this so hard?

Yeh - but - it's the same as my WEP/WPA number (10 characters) which isn't working - sob!

With the laptops I just typed in the WEP number and they worked - why is this so hard?

Have you tried rebooting the device aand then connecting to the WiFi?

Have you tried rebooting the device aand then connecting to the WiFi?

The modem? Have rebooted the Ipod tonnes of times.

Will try the modem tomorrow as junior is now home. Another option on websites was the change the modem pin/wep number - but not sure how to do that. Tomorrow's problem

It is possible that your modem is on WPA/WPA2. you would need to change it to use WPA only as i had some issues as well when connecting my ipod.

Sounds to me as if you have a secured network (which is good! stops the neighbours getting in and stealing your wireless) but there should have been your own password you set up and those laptops obviously have that stored.

Who set up the wireless to begin with? Do you have a normal password you use for things? That may work I dont think its the one on the router otherwise if someone could write that down you'd be in. Its just some password to join the network which would have been set up in the beginning.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Lizzie, find out what the password to the secure network is (the lock suggests to me it's secured) by asking the person that connected the 2 laptops.

by asking the person that connected the 2 laptops.

haha - that was me and it they just did what they had to do.

But - no need to stress - had one of hubby's older girls round for dinner tonight and she looked at it all for me ... couldn't work it out either and thinks my setup password must have been changed somewhere along the line ... but suggested that unless I wanted the 8yr old to have direct access to the net for emails and fb etc (NO), then I'd be better of downloading to the laptop and transferring to the iPod anyhow.

She showed me how and - tada - so simple.

Back