Auctions, wasting time and money to only benefit Agents.

Ahh, who doesn’t enjoy a good auction, every now and again you can stroll down the street to check out your neighbour’s house and take part in this now standard ritual that is part of Australia’s culture. Sometimes the event can turn into a street fair with some auctions in Melbourne having a BBQ out front or a Mr Whippy to feed the crowds who gather to watch this marvellous spectacle. By the end of the auction there is usually a result but looking at 2012 clearance rate figures, nationally, only 55% of properties that went to auction sold at auction.

All that time wasted fixing the property up for opens, all those marketing costs, stress and the final slow reality that you won’t get the price you want for your property sinks in. This happens every week to thousands of home owners who take their property to auction expecting a result. The sale usually doesn’t happen because the property is priced too high. It is your right as the home owner for you to market your property at whatever price you like but your agent well and truly knows that the price you are asking is unrealistic and won’t achieve a sale. Instead of telling you the honest truth, they agree that your asking price is reasonable and even over quote as to “buy” the listing as the agent knows that if they disagree, you the home owner, will pick the next agent from the other Mc Donald like franchise to sell your property.

Now that the agent has your exclusive listing they need to bring your expectations down to achieve a sale. It doesn’t matter to an agent if your property sells for 5%-10% less than your asking price as it only means a couple of hundred dollars off their commission. However that 5%-10% difference can be huge financial difference for the home owner. Instead of the agent having an interest in achieving the highest price possible their interest is in achieving a sale at any price possible and the best way to do this is via the auction process. A normal agency agreement lasts 90 days and the standard auction campaign goes for 4 weeks, this means the agent has 62 days to get the vendor to accept a lower price if the property doesn’t sell at auction.

Using an auction to condition the home owner to take a lower price is the best way to change the expectations of a home owner. On average it costs $10,000 for a standard marketing campaign in the local newspapers and about $500 for the auctioneer. If we look at the current statistics and see that there 350,000 properties currently for sale nationally and that 1 in 5 are to go to auction, if we use a clearance rate of 60% that means 28,000 properties will go unsold at auction. This means as a nation we wasted $280,000,000 on marketing which is worthless as no one reads last week’s news paper. That’s an extra $14,000,000 to auctioneers who didn’t even sell your property. This was all done just so the agent could use the auction process to condition the vendor into accepting a lower offer after the auction. These figures don’t even take into account all the properties that were planned for auction and withdrawn a week prior to auction due to no interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
well - last three properties we took to auction - two sold for around $50k above what we were expecting (ie, above what we would have put as asking price) - the middle one passed in and sold for slightly less than we hoped for but it was a difficult house to value in a high price range.

For us as vendors, auction has been a positive experience

Auctions can work very well, as they attract numerous buyers and makes them compete to raise the price. However, it must be stressed that auctions are not suitable for all properties. Consider this:

You have a rare car, of which there were only 5 made. Your car is in the best condition of all 5, has the least amount of kms on the clock etc etc. The car is worth $150,000.

You have two options:

a) Put an ad on Gumtree for $150,000 or nearest offer because it is free advertising. You get one call in the first two weeks of marketing - as this is the only call you've received, you decide to chase them up and convince them to look at your car. They offer you $120k because they know they are the only person looking.
b) Spend $5,000 advertising on CarSales, eBay, Gumtree, classic cars magazines, Auto magazines etc etc. You get 50 people who are in love with your car and would do anything to buy it. You put them in one room and tell them the person who screams out the highest number will be the new owner.

Which would get you the best result?

Naturally, if you have numerous people wanting the same item, you will achieve a premium result. If you only have one person interested in your item for sale, they will likely screw you on price.

If you were selling a 2004 Toyota Corolla, however, you probably wouldn't bother doing much more than a Gumtree ad and a CarSales ad though, right?

Hence, there are certain properties which fit the criteria and will most definitely receive a good result from the auction system. If you have a unique offering, and you conduct smart marketing (by looking at where enquiries come from, and allocating your marketing funds accordingly), then you will most likely achieve a desirable result.

In saying this, I agree that some agents unfortunately are only out there to make a quick buck and only do what is best for them, rather than what is best for their client. This is bad practice in any business, and thankfully these people don't last in the industry too long because no one trusts them.

The 'OnlineAgent' you are seriously missing some important details which I assume because it helps your business.

Care to share how many properties sell with 30days of auction? It's not always about that one day!

Some people don't know how much their property is worth.

As you said yourself some people do have unrealistic expectations and an auction brings them back to reality, is that no a good thing?

Also selling 55% is that not a good thing? More than half are selling and obviously meeting their expected price?

Would the other 45% sold any quicker a different way? Does the auction not help them?

My view is that auctions are good for the right properry!

10 000 on average .................?

Me suspects that includes commission - which is payable when you sell via an agent anyhow.

None of my auctions have cost anything remotely near this much suggested - asides from the $500 part. Perhaps there is some personal gain to be had by the OP by naysaying auctions ... boardering on spam

Brady = I didn’t spell it out but I agree that not all properties should go to auction. My point is that if the agent is good they tell the vendor its worth X and when it goes to auction it should sell at X or more depending on how hard the agent works. Why do 45% of auctions fail? Because agents allow vendors to believe a property is worth more than it is hence when it goes to auction it doesn’t sell because it is too expensive. In essence 100% of auctions should sell but they don’t because the agent gives unrealistic prices. Many properties sell prior to auction but many properties are withdrawn from auction and don’t even make it into the final statistics because there is no interest.

Rolf Latham= I should have further clarified, $10,000 should get you advertising in two local news papers and a small add in the major ones for a standard 4 week campaign.

Lizzie = Please point out how nay saying auctions is equal to spam. Tell that to the 45% of people who take their property to auction and don’t get a result and have just spent thousands on marketing for 0 result.

My point is that if the agent is good they tell the vendor its worth X and when it goes to auction it should sell at X or more depending on how hard the agent works.

at least half of the problem is the underquoting that goes on.

Much comes back to the seller as well. If the average seller will take on an agent because they provide a CMA of 10 % more than the average of 2 others ..........................

ta
rolf

at least half of the problem is the underquoting that goes on.

Much comes back to the seller as well. If the average seller will take on an agent because they provide a CMA of 10 % more than the average of 2 others ..........................

ta
rolf

I have created a commission structure that penalises agents commission if they appraise a property at X but it sells for less. This will stop bad agents from over quoting and getting the listing.

You simply fill it out and attach to the Agency Agreement. Free as well!

Brady = I didn’t spell it out but I agree that not all properties should go to auction. My point is that if the agent is good they tell the vendor its worth X and when it goes to auction it should sell at X or more depending on how hard the agent works. Why do 45% of auctions fail? Because agents allow vendors to believe a property is worth more than it is hence when it goes to auction it doesn’t sell because it is too expensive. In essence 100% of auctions should sell but they don’t because the agent gives unrealistic prices. Many properties sell prior to auction but many properties are withdrawn from auction and don’t even make it into the final statistics because there is no interest.

I believe your stats to be off.

45% of auctions dont fail just because of the agent.

I would suggest that there are alot of potential buyers who aren't in a postition to bid under auction conditions.

In some cases properties are an individual type property that needs the right buyer.

obviously there are times when the pricing is wrong, but the agent can't be soley responsible for that. If a vendor thinks the property is worth less then have the reserve set lower, im sure the agent would be happy to have the property sold.

I have created a commission structure that penalises agents commission if they appraise a property at X but it sells for less. This will stop bad agents from over quoting and getting the listing.

You simply fill it out and attach to the Agency Agreement. Free as well!

I like the idea of different commission structures for different sale prices, really ensures that the agent is working for you, gives good incentives, win win.

Haven't sold a property, but if I was going to I would definately look into doing it that way.

When I was selling my business, we agreed on a price to list at or a market value,

I also included a clause saying that if the agent were to get a price over $X, he would get 50% of the difference above $X,

agent disagreed and wanted 100% of the difference:eek::eek::eek:

naturally I ended up not using them,

very poor business practice!

he contacted me 6 months after l had used a different agent and susbequently solved it, asking for the lease!

10 000 on average .................?

10 k advertising in the local rag.........I can get full + pages for that ?

ta

rolf

$10k is a comprehensive marketing campaign - SMH ads, local papers, larger signs, upgraded online ads, brochures sent to local area etc. We would suggest a marketing budget in the vicinity of $10k for a property selling for around $2-3Mil. Resi of course is more of a local market and there are more buyers out there so $10k is overkill for an average house.

$500 is about right for an (average) auctioneer.

last auction we had a waste of time and money think it was around 2k for the auction

Most people at the auction were also selling their house, I would never do an auction again promoted the agency made no difference to the sale if the auction was not held.

On average it costs $10,000 for a standard marketing campaign in the local newspapers and about $500 for the auctioneer. If we look at the current statistics and see that there 350,000 properties currently for sale nationally and that 1 in 5 are to go to auction, if we use a clearance rate of 60% that means 28,000 properties will go unsold at auction. This means as a nation we wasted $280,000,000 on marketing which is worthless as no one reads last week’s news paper. That’s an extra $14,000,000 to auctioneers who didn’t even sell your property.

Dude, this is so inaccurate. Now, I’m not a huge fan of auctions but under the right circumstances they work.

Firstly, the average cost of an auction is nowhere near $10,000!! As a point of reference the last 8 actions I have done each costs $1,280 including advertising and auctioneer costs + a sale fee of 3%.

If you were talking about the $10,000 including the sales fee then why would that be payable if the property is passed in? If any agent is charging a sale fee for not selling a property please sign me up.

So your figure of 280 million is much exaggerated.

Also, many properties which are passed in are sold days after. Some are also sold prior to auction.

Last edited:
We had a negative auction experience last year. We have a 2.5k marketing bill.

Our mistake was trusting the RE to give us a genuine market appraisal and selling strategy.

I have it in writing that we were mislead. The REA emailed a colleague for a rent appraisal and CCed the reply to me. In his original message which was at the bottom of the email he had written "we are hoping to get XXX which was 10% lower than the bottom end of the appraised range - just days after we signed up.

We had a negative auction experience last year. We have a 2.5k marketing bill.

Our mistake was trusting the RE to give us a genuine market appraisal and selling strategy.

I have it in writing that we were mislead. The REA emailed a colleague for a rent appraisal and CCed the reply to me. In his original message which was at the bottom of the email he had written "we are hoping to get XXX which was 10% lower than the bottom end of the appraised range - just days after we signed up.

That is unfortunate to have happened. Lucky for you the agent was inept and forwarded on an email chain so you had early warning of the agents games.

If the agent knew his commission would be penalised if it sold for 10% under his appraisal he would never have given the over inflated appraisal to win the listing in the first place.

Did the property end up selling, how much higher/lower did it sell for from the agents original appraisal.

last auction we had a waste of time and money think it was around 2k for the auction

Most people at the auction were also selling their house, I would never do an auction again promoted the agency made no difference to the sale if the auction was not held.

Agents know neighbors will visit the open house when there is an auction campaign. Its perfect hunting ground for new clients at the expense of the vendor.

Even if the property doesn't sell the agent is able to add to his database of potential clients looking to sell in the near future.

Back