Australia's Best CEOs & Company Directors

According to Warren Buffett, having a CEO with energy, integrity and intelligence matters a great deal if you are an investor in a listed company.

So who are our best CEOs and do they really add value to their companies?

I'm especially interested in smaller listed companies where star directors are buying up shares with their own cash.

Any ideas? Please share.

My picks (I am no expert):

Andrew Forrest.
Peter Vanderspuy
The team from Forrrestania before it was taken over.

Any others?

How about the owner/directors of larger companies like Harvey Norman and Westfield?

There maybe others?

Teele and Argus from AFIC have had some great feedback, though much of what I've been reading is as they are leaving

I'm especially interested in smaller listed companies where star directors are buying up shares with their own cash. My picks (I am no expert): Andrew Forrest.

Peter Bond (Linc Energy) owns ~39% of that business, and Linc is a lot smaller than FMG.

(And...) EDIT - I have seen Graham Turner of Flight Centre get praise for his skills, and he does have a pretty big stake in that business.

Last edited:
According to Warren Buffett, having a CEO with energy, integrity and intelligence matters a great deal if you are an investor in a listed company.

Yes, Buffett certainly likes CEO's with integrity, energy and intelligence. But out of the 3 the most important one for him is integrity. Because, you definitely don't want a CEO with full of energy and intelligence but no integrity ;)

Having said that Buffett will not invest in a business which doesn't have any economic moats even if it is run by an excellent CEO.To quote him

When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.

It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.

Time is the friend of the wonderful company, the enemy of the mediocre.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Michael Chaney took Wesfarmers from a small former co operative to being one of the largest listed companies in Australia.

Brian Mcnamee has taken CSL from being at best valued 23 million by Arthur Anderson in 1990 to its float value of 300 million in 1994 to its current value 30 billion and has recently retired. I dont think anyone would begrudge him a golden handshake.

Michael Chaney took Wesfarmers from a small former co operative to being one of the largest listed companies in Australia. .

I know Mike and his brother personally. They come from one of WA's most prominent families. It's interesting that Chaney, a brilliant fellow, sold his shares at the top of the market and left when the company was at its zenith

Brian Mcnamee has taken CSL from being at best valued 23 million by Arthur Anderson in 1990 to its float value of 300 million in 1994 to its current value 30 billion and has recently retired. I dont think anyone would begrudge him a golden handshake.

Sterling effort on his part.

Do you know if he is a director of any other stocks?

Back