Avoid cross collateralization

Sorry for the naive question - what's wrong with xcoll?
Is it that all your properties are at risk if there is a crash?

I'm looking at our first IP (will post a hello thread when I've time) - and my broker is saying i shouldn't worry too much about xcoll (we are with NAB).

Thanks in advance

Plus its just unnecessary - can easily set it up without the x-coll at no/little cost to you. The only cost I can think of is that you may need to set up another split loan (and some banks charge a monthly fee for the additional loan).

I'm looking at our first IP (will post a hello thread when I've time) - and my broker is saying i shouldn't worry too much about xcoll (we are with NAB).

Thanks in advance

Hi SilverBear,

There are 2 concerning things in your statement here - the first is X-coll, the second is (most likely) NAB. When ever I hear these 2 things for a newbie investor, coming from a broker I think "Here we go again!"

NAB is good for certain things, but for someone who wants to invest (assuming your situation is pretty normal) they aren't usually the best choice early on.

I'd probably recommend you have a chat with a broker who knows about investment lending before you go too much further with your current one - it's best to get it structured right from the beginning to avoid potentially expensive mistakes.

Thanks in advance

Here's a list of some of the things wrong with xcoll. It's only 10, but I'm fairly certain I can come up with dozens of practical examples where I've seen it hurt people.

Attachments

• Sage Cross Coll handout.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 508
The sooner this forum has a "I agree to the terms of using this forum and I have read and understood the why to avoid x coll thread" the better.

Thanks for all the informative responses, really helped me understand why I should avoid xcoll.

The broker got me a great deal, $1.4m loan on PPOR, at 4.62% 4 months ago before the rate cut, beating my other quotes by a mile.
I guess I need to question everything rather than believing all he says.

Thanks for all the informative responses, really helped me understand why I should avoid xcoll.

The broker got me a great deal, $1.4m loan on PPOR, at 4.62% 4 months ago before the rate cut, beating my other quotes by a mile.
I guess I need to question everything rather than believing all he says.

Its a good rate no doubt - but pretty standard for that loan size with the majors. NAB may have even shaved 2-3 more bps off.

Back