Backyard subdivision? anyone doing it?

rough run down of profit analysis for 1 into 2 subdiv

Hi Domma35, here is a run down of how I would do a profit analysis using the following simple example:

-$500,000 original purchase price of old house on subdividable lot
-$ 25,000 stamp duty/ closing costs
(put a tennant in for 12 mths while all applications are put to council, assuming $400 per week rent, 6% interest, with nil depreciation, 30% marginal tax rate, and $5000 allowed for council rates, insurance, maintenance, water, this property is cash flow negative over 12 mths by
-$10,000 holding cost
-$40,000 subdivision (subdiv costs vary greatly but this should cover it)

so all up it cost a total of -$575,000 to carry out this project

now you own an old house on courtyard block, new value $400,000 plus a
courtyard block of vacant land at value $300,000

$700,000
-$575,000
= +$125,000 net equity that you have generated

now lets assume you sell both:

-$25,000 agent commisions and advertising costs
Total profit $100,000 but you still got to pay capital gains tax on this, you get a 50% discount for holding over 12 mths, so lets say you already have a day job and this extra $50,000 added onto your taxable income puts you into the 37% tax bracket you loose $18,500 of your profit

so all up you get to keep $81,500 clear for 12 mths of paper work, a few headaches, and clearing a block/putting up a new fence, not bad in my book.....

(disclaimer: this is just a rough guide to help the newbies follow my way of working it out, obviously results vary widely depending on multiple factors, always due your own due dilligence)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi Domma35, here is a run down of how I would do a profit analysis using the following simple example:

-$500,000 original purchase price of old house on subdividable lot
-$ 25,000 stamp duty/ closing costs
(put a tennant in for 12 mths while all applications are put to council, assuming $400 per week rent, 6% interest, with nil depreciation, 30% marginal tax rate, and $5000 allowed for council rates, insurance, maintenance, water, this property is cash flow negative over 12 mths by
-$10,000 holding cost
-$40,000 subdivision (subdiv costs vary greatly but this should cover it)

so all up it cost a total of -$575,000 to carry out this project

now you own an old house on courtyard block, new value $400,000 plus a
courtyard block of vacant land at value $300,000

$700,000
-$575,000
= +$125,000 net equity that you have generated

now lets assume you sell both:

-$25,000 agent commisions and advertising costs
Total profit $100,000 but you still got to pay capital gains tax on this, you get a 50% discount for holding over 12 mths, so lets say you already have a day job and this extra $50,000 added onto your taxable income puts you into the 37% tax bracket you loose $18,500 of your profit

so all up you get to keep $81,500 clear for 12 mths of paper work, a few headaches, and clearing a block/putting up a new fence, not bad in my book.....

(disclaimer: this is just a rough guide to help the newbies follow my way of working it out, obviously results vary widely depending on multiple factors, always due your own due dilligence)

Hope this helps

I can vouch for these numbers, recently completed a subdiv and kept the front house. The numbers were incredibly close to this example.

If you built at the rear, rather than sell the block would this be the best option, as you would end up with cashflow + and access equity from rear, end up holding 2 IPs

Any thoughts

Hi MTR would u be able to elaborate on how the IPs can bee cash pos? Newbie here not that good analyzing the numbers Thx:)

It is because the subdivision will add value to the property. So you basically get the rear block for free. That means you can build a house on the block, rent it out and since you are only paying for the building, you should be cashflow positive once it's rented out.

It is because the subdivision will add value to the property. So you basically get the rear block for free. That means you can build a house on the block, rent it out and since you are only paying for the building, you should be cashflow positive once it's rented out.

Hi Aaron
Yes something like this. Also access the equity from the new build.

MTR

looks like the numbers on a morley retain and subdivide, is that where yours was gooram?

Hi Sanj
A couple of questions -

I am concerned that it may be difficult to sell battleaxe blocks as most buyers would prefer street frontage. Am I right? I guess one way to mitigate this is to buy in areas where there is high demand! Trendy areas, also the front house would need to look good/renovated to attract buyers, like your views on this. Thanx

MTR

Last edited:
I think it depends on a few factors. In some suburbs battleaxe blocks are really quite common, morley is one of them due to the R20/25 zoning (same with bedford). If it jad been rezoned to R40 or R60 I think we wouldvve seen a lot more front homes demolished and new villa developments go up (although that of course is happening). If the home is finished I don't think you would have any issues but even just land, if it is a nicely shaped battleaxe block, good size etc you will be able to sell it.

I sold 2 battleaxe blocks on a busy road (central ave in maylands) within 3 or so weeks a couple of months ago despite being 160sqm and 170 sqm respectively but I did get plans approved first due to the tight nature of the sites.

I also agree with your point re the condition of front home being important, ultimately no one wants to live in a new home behind a dump

Some councils will stipulate that the front house needs to be improved - the R Codes encourage it. No body wants to buy a really nice rear house with a dump at the front.

If you built at the rear, rather than sell the block would this be the best option, as you would end up with cashflow + and access equity from rear, end up holding 2 IPs

Any thoughts

I'd build too, providing you have the money, as it has many positives:
- depreciation
- higher rental yields (new always gets more)
- ability to hold for the 12mths to reduce CGT as you have rental income coming in
- builders on site for rear construction can also do reno work on front (cheaper than single reno on front property)

Ideally in some suburbs you'd look for a corner block or a ROW to make it even more attractive with 2 frontages if you couldn't manage side by side.

I'd build too, providing you have the money, as it has many positives:
- depreciation
- higher rental yields (new always gets more)
- ability to hold for the 12mths to reduce CGT as you have rental income coming in
- builders on site for rear construction can also do reno work on front (cheaper than single reno on front property)

Ideally in some suburbs you'd look for a corner block or a ROW to make it even more attractive with 2 frontages if you couldn't manage side by side.

Sounds good, I would like to cut my teeth on something like this as I am not ready for larger project.

I am now searching various areas, trying to find suitable property,they don't come along every day.

I have realised from my search you stole the gwelup property at $700k, sometimes its about being inthe right place at the right time;)

Cheers MTR

I think it depends on a few factors. In some suburbs battleaxe blocks are really quite common, morley is one of them due to the R20/25 zoning (same with bedford). If it jad been rezoned to R40 or R60 I think we wouldvve seen a lot more front homes demolished and new villa developments go up (although that of course is happening). If the home is finished I don't think you would have any issues but even just land, if it is a nicely shaped battleaxe block, good size etc you will be able to sell it.

I sold 2 battleaxe blocks on a busy road (central ave in maylands) within 3 or so weeks a couple of months ago despite being 160sqm and 170 sqm respectively but I did get plans approved first due to the tight nature of the sites.

I also agree with your point re the condition of front home being important, ultimately no one wants to live in a new home behind a dump

That makes sense now.
With your Maylands project, would you do something like this again?

Thanks, MTR

Sounds good, I would like to cut my teeth on something like this as I am not ready for larger project.

I am now searching various areas, trying to find suitable property,they don't come along every day.

I have realised from my search you stole the gwelup property at $700k, sometimes its about being inthe right place at the right time;)

Cheers MTR

That would have been a steal!! I got it for $849k :)

What's your budget?

That would have been a steal!! I got it for $849k :)

What's your budget?

Oh, not sure where I got $700k, at $849k still good buying considering size of block.

My budget is somewhere between $500-600k, still working on this and have some ideas;)

Don't think this strategy will suit areas like Westminster, Balga, Nollamara due to the amount of new developments, resale may be an issue down the track.

Perhaps I need to look at areas where there is predominately older/period home at front, then there will be higher costs ie reno etc.

MTR

Oh, not sure where I got $700k, at $849k still good buying considering size of block.

My budget is somewhere between $500-600k, still working on this and have some ideas;)

Don't think this strategy will suit areas like Westminster, Balga, Nollamara in particular resale, Buyers will always prefer new. Need to look at areas where this will not be an issue.

MTR

Check out Doubleview

My REA just sold this one http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-doubleview-112459843

Or other suburbs where they have a nice floorboarded house at the front that could take a nice reno. Hilton, Willagee

I like Doubleview over them as it has some rear lane ways. If you can find a R40 with laneway you could put a baby apartment block on the rear :)

Back