Bad agent in Melbourne

We recently bought our dream home as our PPOR in Ringwood in Melbourne and we had the worst experience with an agent from ASSISI R/E in Doncaster who were the listing agents.

The manager of the Agency was actually the man who we had dramas with including:

underquoting, refusing to accept or pass on our offer to the vendor, and general bullying.

The main issue was when we met the Agent and we wrote up our offer, he refused to accept our terms of a 24 hour acceptance period, and then walked off on us as he was insisting on a 3 day period so he could drum up more interest on the 'open for inspection' that weekend and let us know the outcome the following week.

We called consumer affairs to complain, and they seemed to make a million excuses for the Agents over the phone!!!

Has anyone had any similar experiences???

I recently purchased my first PPOR and had issues with the RE agent. When we met to put the offer in writing he was drumming up how much interest the property had for the past few days and suggested I put in a higher offer (I wrote only what I was prepared to pay).

He called later in the day saying the owners wanted at least another $10K before they'd even consider it. I said no. He said Well I'll call them back and offer another $5K and see what they say, but I don't like your chances. I said No you wont, XXX is my final offer. He went on about it being a huge "discount" because the property next door (which is exactly the same) sold 2 weeks ago for $15K more than my offer. I told him that it's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and that is my final offer. If he doesn't like it thats his problem, there are plenty of other houses around. He called back 2mins later to say they had accepted the offer.

After 5 days I still hadn't received a signed copy from the vendors, so I rang. He said because they were lived in a different town it must be taking a while due to the mail, but they definitely have it. I called after 7 days, same excuse. After 10 days I called him and said I suspected he and the vendor were holding out for a better offer, and if I didnt have it in my hands within 24hrs my offer no longer stands (technically my offer expired after 3 days).

Funnily enough, it was in my hands within the time frame, with the owners signature dated on the 3rd day of the offer.

.......and these are just a few of the things REA's do :eek: BUT in all fairness to them, they are the vendor's agent. Just expect it, learn how to deal with it - its part of the game. :)

Back