Bad spelling is rampant, but can be fixed

Is it just me or is the spelling getting really bad on here recently?

Spelling across across most forums is pretty ordinary at best and could be put down to small keyboards and big fingers, but these help, usually putting a red line under incorrectly written words.

Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

IE
http://www.iespell.com/

Chrome
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95604

Opera
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/spellcheck/

Its an easy fix.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I notice sometimes when I go back and read my posts that I hvae gto teh lettrse aronud teh worng way.

Regrads Jo

Spelling is a big 'thing' of mine so thanks for that.

Pedantic and silly I may be, but I just can't help it.

Now if we could only get all the advertising people to use such a tool, I would spend less time annoying my husband when I shout at the TV.

Is it just me or is the spelling getting really bad on here recently?
I use Chrome which highlights bad spelling.... When quoting other posts I often have the urge to correct the mistakes in their post before quoting it :eek: ....... something about that red squiggly line that ruins my concentration.

Hi Dave,

I notice sometimes when I go back and read my posts that I have got the letters around the wrong way.

Regards Jo

Ah yes, but the red line shows up the mistakes making them easily fixed by the poster with the click of a button.

Dave

Attachments

• Shite spelling.JPG
    Shite spelling.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 68
Ah yes, but the red line shows up the mistakes making them easily fixed by the poster with the click of a button.

Dave

What red line. I have nothing telling me I have made a mistake....which I rarely do......unless it's typo rather than spelling.:p

Is that with Firefox?

Regards Jo

Spelling is a big 'thing' of mine so thanks for that.

Pedantic and silly I may be, but I just can't help it.

Now if we could only get all the advertising people to use such a tool, I would spend less time annoying my husband when I shout at the TV.

Hi Minx

Me too :)
Have you read "Eats Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss? You'd love it!

Spelling across across most forums

Hi Dave

Looks like you need a fix for grammar mistakes too...

Sorry but I couldn't help myself. :) I also feel a twinge when I read poor English but I am not convinced the automatic correction systems represent an improvement. IMO there is no substitute for proof reading your own work properly as spell checkers won't pick up everything (see above :))and the better I get at it the less likely I will make a mistake in the first place...

I am very forgiving of spelling mistakes......even grammatical mistakes.....
especially when insight and intelligence is expressed quickly.

I've lost count of the number of successful smart fast movers who are dyslexic.

I'm less tolerant of people who can't add up.

incidentally, I rarely bother starting sentences with capitals these days.

i find if i'm on a normal old keyboard i'm fine ... stick me on a laptop and i'm stuffed. which is really frustrating because i am a typist who, even after not working professionally for nearly 10 years is still happy to register 80wpm and 98% accuracy (even if i don't use capitals on here).

and yes - poor spelling in advertising really annoys

Teaching Disaster

Just an observation, but the English skills displayed by Gen Y'ers seem to be so poor that they appear to have considerable trouble just trying to use spell checkers properly. eg. to/too, bear/bare, not/note etc etc. :eek:

I suspect that it simply reflects woefully lax teaching standards as of 10-15 years ago. :(

Poor spelling and grammar annoy me, too, but the thing that really makes me get on my soapbox is "Apostrophe Man" who seems to have so much fun travelling all around the country and putting apostrophe's in the wrong place. (Deliberate use :p )

I remember when we first moved to the Redlands 14 years ago - the local council had signs everywhere which read:

"Koala's cross here at night."

I used to feel so sorry for the Redlands' one poor solitary koala, who had his work cut out every night crossing so many roads throughout the region! :rolleyes:

Cheers
LynnH

The spelling and grammar on this forum is far more accurate than that of most other forums i frequent. The automotive sites I visit are the worst. I'm usually not too annoyed at poor spelling unless it is ridiculously bad but there are words that are so commonly mispelt it frustrates me. Eg: correct use of the words there, their, they're and your, you're. Oh and and it seems another O was added to the words lose and loser when I wasn't looking. I always find it amusing when someone is called a looser.

Lol old mate!

Guilty on that count - am I a looser? :D
Strangely, this is only an error I make when typing, not when putting pen to paper. :confused: I have no idea why!

Back