Bad spelling is rampant, but can be fixed

I am a very poor at spelling and even worse at grammer ( i thing i just spelt grammer wrong:confused:)

Never was good at english at all, i am a maths person, funny enough i read all the time, i enjoy reading - just can not pick up the spelling side of it.

It does annoy me that i have trouble spelling corectly.

I don't think it has stoped me from achieving or if it has limited me in any way.

hi all
for what its worth it annoys me as well

now thats funny.

One thing is Ive discovered when reading your posts (not the little ones but the long ones) if you use a blackberry then they come out fine

And..
maybe the way to spell (the old way) is changing. Look at reading stuff from say 200 years ago versus now.

I'll warrant its a bit different. Aye.

"Koala's cross here at night."

I used to feel so sorry for the Redlands' one poor solitary koala, who had his work cut out every night crossing so many roads throughout the region! :rolleyes:

Cheers
LynnH

That's why he is so cross every night!

Last edited:
In a flat immediately below from one of my IP's, there is government assisted /subsidised accommodation. The tenants have apparently been playing music extremely loudly at all ungodly hours and we have complained to the body corporate.

This is the organisation that rents the property and then places appropriate people. In the process of submitting these complaints we received a letter from them in response to our complaints. This is part of the letter (word for word)

..I am writing to inform you that we received your complain letter. I understand the inconveniences of this disturbance is causing to the other tenants. The case has to be investigating and a response will be providing soon.....
:confused:

Just an observation, but the English skills displayed by Gen Y'ers seem to be so poor that they appear to have considerable trouble just trying to use spell checkers properly. eg. to/too, bear/bare, not/note etc etc. :eek:

I suspect that it simply reflects woefully lax teaching standards as of 10-15 years ago. :(

Good point ned261, but not only that.....somehow they grow up and God only knows get through teaching college, only to turn up at our primary school and commence teaching the same woeful habits to my kids.

The wife and I struggle to correct the plainly wrong grammar and spelling mistakes taught to them as fact.

Of course, it escalates when you have a parent / teacher meeting with these young flippety jibs, when they like sound like something out of like a US retarded teenager like TV show.

It is physically impossible for them to either string one sentence together or describe a situation without peppering the verbage with at least 5 or 6 "likes" to the point where you quickly loose :p track of what it was they were trying to impart.

To make it fun with the kids, we banned 4 words from our house, with a 10c penalty jar on top of the fridge. They were : like, whatever, cool and um. You'd be surprised how often Ozzie kids say those 4 words.

Like : completely irrelevant word - just rip it out and keep speaking.

Whatever : highly disrespectful and dismissive Yank term - I hate this one.

Cool : innocuous term really, but there are such wonderful / amazing adjectives to describe things in the world, rather than the bland 'cool' to describe everything. As a family, we came up with 33 different words to use other than the monotonous cool.

Um : Not so much annoying but habit forming, a tad like stuttering.

Strip them out, and suddenly conversations become pleasant once again.

Repelling the tidal wave of cr@p coming out of the US is a constant daily struggle for us. The children are fed, much to my displeasure, a massive diet of American visual and audible junk. I fight every day with my little bucket to stem the tide, but wave after wave just keeps coming through. I don't know what the permanent solution is. No media and back to books ??

You are the parent; you are the teacher as well.

Repelling the tidal wave of cr@p coming out of the US is a constant daily struggle for us. The children are fed, much to my displeasure, a massive diet of American visual and audible junk. I fight every day with my little bucket to stem the tide, but wave after wave just keeps coming through. I don't know what the permanent solution is. No media and back to books ??

I'm hearin' ya!

It all comes back to us as parents to step in.

Our boy is 7 now, lived for 3 years in the USA and was exposed to all their cr@p day and night.

Now we are back here and he cops it on the tv every single day - the kids' timeslots are absolutely saturated with Yank (and Aussie) garbage and fast-food ad-nauseum, toys and other junk.

Yes, we could stop him form watching tv alltogether, but that's a bit severe I reckon.

However, I'm there constantly adding my 2 cents worth about the relative merits of everything under the sun. You know; trying to be an engaged, interested parent who offers some (hopefully) correct guidance for my child. Too many parents use tv as a baby sitter.

Consequently, things like KFC, Hungry Jacks, Red Rooster, Maccas, froot loops, nutri-grain, coke, and so on - anything bad for the body; he hates it all now and doesn't ask for it becuase of my never-ending reminders of the evils..

Unfortunately, he hates things that are good for you too though. :( There is the challenge!

He actually likes some of the cr@p stuff, but now is brainwashed to know better - not to go near the stuff - at least on a daily basis like most kids (unfortunately) do.

Fortunately, he is also very active and built like a piece of wire.

As for spelling and reading; we read to him every day of his life, and we make him do his readers from school every day.

As a result, he is now a very competent speller and reader.

Back