Balance between work and investment

Hi all:

This is the problem I am struggling to handle myself. I find it hard to fully concentrate on my work while committing to investment, whether it's share or property (far more appealing alternatives). Has anyone come across with similar problem? Your comments and advices would be much appreciated.

Hi all:

This is the problem I am struggling to handle myself. I find it hard to fully concentrate on my work while committing to investment, whether it's share or property (far more appealing alternatives). Has anyone come across with similar problem? Your comments and advices would be much appreciated.

Hahaha.. yes very much so.. :)
Im on the same boat as you mate.
I enjoy my work, but enjoy investing much more..

One advise I do have, which I forget constantly myself is: that the biggest asset you have is 'time'. Remember to have some fun, spend time with family/friends and for the little things in life...

Its funny actually.

I used to be really interested in IT (my job) and used to get really bored reading investment books, forums etc. Now I can't stand reading IT content and can't get enough investment books, forums etc. Go figure? I don't know what happened, it was like a switch just flicked over and my interests changed.

Work is just a means to and end. I don't mind it but there are other things I'd rather be doing with my time.

I'm really struggling with this at the moment. I have bought a few properties recently and have found that the purchasing stuff takes a lot of time out of my day. While I was researching I think it was worse though, always thinking of locations and ideas and dreaming about success in property. Yep, I also used to be extremely interested in reading journals related to work, now I can't stop reading investment books and magazines.

The only tip I have is to take a complete day of not doing anything real estate related at work. I usually spend the first 30mins or so of each day looking at this forum, checking the real estate websites and other things. Unfortunately this just stimulates more thoughts and takes me further away from getting work done. I have to keep remembering that while real estate is going to look after me in the future, my current job is paying my loans! The days I have just arrived at work and started working, I have been much more focused on my work and not so dreamy.

It was just too hard. I felt guilty receiving personal faxes at work, signing contracts, sending personal faxes, personal emails, personal phone calls from tradies etc

Between work and property, I have had enough of both. I really look forward to holidays with family and can get away from it all and just relax, have fun, no property, no work, no house cleaning!

In order of importance

1 family
2 property
3 trying to think of anything else
last is work

Hi feihong

At one time I used to focus on working as hard as I could to earn what I thought was an adequate amount of $rs to achieve THE COMFORTABLE LIVE STYLE.

Then came the realization that most of the hard working ( laborers / grunt type self employed working ) Europeans also bought properties.

“Ahh interesting” so of we go and buy RE. After a time the tunnel I was going down trying to archive THE COMFORTABLE LIFE STYLE had a LIGHT at the end of it.

Never felt so goods about going to work after that.

Now I go to work on my property portfolio full time.

Gerd

Hi feihong

Now I go to work on my property portfolio full time.

Gerd

Spent our last vacation from the day job, doing a reno in Townsville
Despite both of us having the flu and working through it and working 14-16hr days... it was much better than the day job.

Looking forward to doing it full time in the coming years ahead.

I haven't even got my first IP yet and have found it rather time consuming just getting my structures and loan facilities in place. Must admit it's the research and self-education that take most of the time. Fortunately I generally have plenty of free time at work and reasonably flexable hours and a boss that doesn't mind me doing personal stuff as long as the work is done when it needs to be done.

Aahh well, if I didn't have my job then bank would not take me so seriously.
Partner is on leave from his job right now and working really hard on guess what? Property improvements and arranging quotes on our builds!

Must admit though, I don't think about investing while I'm at work. Well, only on really bad days :)

Hi all:

Hi feihong,

This is an interesting thread. I was thinking along these lines a few days ago.

I find that the research, and administration of a property portfolio is time consuming. I am fortunte that being a teacher I have a lot of annual leave. I take this opportunity to do research etc, etc. However, I cannot do any of my investing at work as I am too busy! (Unfortunately!)

Regards Jason.

I find the purchase stage always involves a lot of phone calls and coordination in terms of insurance, paper works, banks, inspections, solicitors etc - that is definitely difficult to fit around the day job.

I am fortunate to work with a great group of people who are okay with me claiming a two hour lunch break but instead taking it as a series of phone calls made throughout the day. (Obviously, it would be an issue if I claimed the calls as work time :rolleyes: )

The same great group of people are well aware (and mostly supportive) of my property investing - I think more than a few are watching to see if maybe it's something that could work for them ...

And we all love searching realestate.com.au in our lunch hours ... and daydreaming. I don't think you need to be an investor to do that!

DJ

Buying IPs the traditional way is hard slog and very time consuming. Rewards are obviously there in the long run from IPs but I often wonder if I had put in more effort the last couple of years at work, I'd be doing a lot better up the ladder and in turn the hip pocket. Probably not the latter as theres a limit to how much bonuses you can make due to age, politics..etc.. unless off course you head o/s. Staying in Oz is all about the lifestyle I suppose, no stress at work, no stress with investing. Win, win really.

Being self-employed, the boss doesn't mind me taking time off to deal with the IP's and other investments. :D But after a lifetime in my real job, I'm ready for a change, and that will be to a part-time career change into my IP's. Ever since I became interested in IP's, the reading and learning are just sheer pleasures. Organising and completing a reno both satisfy my creative needs, and working out the finances and strategy are very mentally stimulating. Tis all good!

Its funny, up until the last 12 months my life had revolved around fishing. As I was an apprentice straight out of school iv never had to buy a car so a boat it was. Lost about $5k on that boat then moved to a bigger boat which cost me $45K and I sold last yr for $33k as the $$$ were used for our new kitchen and a cheaper boat. Then I though (for some silly reason well I still need a boat) so another $20k onto a new boat. Iv since realised that im really over fishing for now. Iv done it for 20yrs and looking for a break. REASON= I cant think about anything these days but porperty. At work (which I enjoy) I just keep telling myself "its ok i need this job to get my pay each week to move into more property" Its not that iv got alot of IP's or anything, only one and our PPOR but im busting to get another asap.

As soon as I get home I grab a coffee, jump online read these forum's, check out Realestate.com or finish off bits of our reno. Later at night I jump into bed and read API for 1/2hr or so and thats how I like my day. I must admit we took a 3 week break from the reno recently and it did feel good ;)

My dad keeps telling me that I should go for a fish I need a hobby and need to have fun. He doesnt see that I actually enjoy reading on property and working towards it. I figure I never have time to use the boat these days, my wife wants a kiddy soon which will mean less time for a boat (I assume those with kids could confirm this, lol) so I say heck sell the boat and use the funds as a deposit on my 2nd IP. I will get $15k-17k for it. It owes me $21k. As you can see in the last 10 yrs iv lost around $25k just on the boats. Not big money I know but that stuff depresses me now days. Im not a tight *** (I dont think anyway, lol) I just prefer different things now, like Id rather take my wife to dinner somewhere nice for $150 rather than go fishing and spend $150 petral.

Im sure there are worse things in life that could be consuming all you good peoples time and thoughts.

Jayro!

Back