Bamboo floor - are you happy? Recommendations?

If you need assistance- Try
Didier at Clique Floors-
He supplies and installs the Mosowood brand flooring, which seems to be the best quality i have seen (And i have seen a lot)
Tell him Adrien from Eco Building Services sent you, and he will look after you!
will PM you his details

Hi Wise1
I can definitely recommend bamboo flooring as we use it in our kitchen and lounge room (and also because we sell it :) )
The grains in the natural bamboo just look beautiful and I would suggest going for a lighter colour as I have seen a few flooring jobs using the darker shades and it just doesn't look near as good.
If you were still planning your bamboo floor, feel free to drop in and see us!

Hi everyone,

I'm also considering Bamboo floors in the lounge and bedrooms. The colour I'm looking at is 'Coffee' also known in Harvey Norman as 'carbonised'. Has anyone used this type of flooring. Is this type of flooring suitable for bedrooms? I am swayed to get carpet for all rooms for the comfort factor and maybe being warmer and easier on heating bills but on the other hand the bamboo is less dusty and better for health.

What are your thoughts on this please. Glad when the reno is finished and I don't have to make any more of these decisions. :eek:

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Hi everyone,

I'm also considering Bamboo floors in the lounge and bedrooms. The colour I'm looking at is 'Coffee' also known in Harvey Norman as 'carbonised'. Has anyone used this type of flooring. Is this type of flooring suitable for bedrooms? I am swayed to get carpet for all rooms for the comfort factor and maybe being warmer and easier on heating bills but on the other hand the bamboo is less dusty and better for health.

What are your thoughts on this please. Glad when the reno is finished and I don't have to make any more of these decisions. :eek:

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

I'm using 'Coffee' bamboo as well. Great look.

I still prefer carpet in the bedrooms.

Oscar

I'm also looking to install some flooring in my IP. Went out to a couple showrooms today and looked at Laminate and Bamboo and Timber. For an IP I am going to skip Timber.

I have to say that the Bamboo does look better quality than the Laminate and you can tell the difference.

The guy said that the Bamboo wasn't going to be much more than Laminate so have asked for both quotes for comparison after he measures. Will let you know how I go.

Definitely not laminate.

I am currently looking at bamboo, seems like Tasmanian Oak is cheaper option too, however the wood is not as hard which may be an issue.

Looking forward to responses on this:)

Bamboo Flooring in Melbourne - Arc Bamboo & Arrowsun

I keep on seeing this forum in Google Search, so I might as well get everyone up to speed who require it on Bamboo.

I work in a flooring shop in Melbourne (St Kilda)

Quickstep Arc Bamboo is a top performer. (has patented Uni-clic system)
Also ArrowSun Bamboo has the same quality and well loved & recommended.

Havent tried Green Choice yet.

- So long as they are Cold Pressed, rather than the cheap method of Hot pressed.

Cold Pressed - Meaning they are pressed into shaped @ Room Temperature before being baked up to 20hrs.

+ What I notice considerably is the weight in the boards and the look.
+ Feel is way better than most. Denser Board.
+ They do cost more because of the process. But reliable long term.

"Manufacture Quote: Cheap lock systems can break.

Hot Press - Baked for 45 min approx. to a day.

------

Regulations you got to know about:

- GECA - Green Environmental Choice Australia
- FSC - Forest Stewardship Council

-
Also cheap small time importers, who import in cheap, you can smell the glue, especially those guys who open up their own shops!

they dont regulate Chinese factories on harvesting.

- its been quoted in the industry, that the Bamboo needs an exact maturity in the 6th year to be harvested as thats when the Bamboo is at its optimum hardest.

Whereas if you go cheap you might be dealing with those who harvest early,
compromise quality, etc.

- All my installers love these because they dont worry about it being inferior.

Warranties vary from 20-25years.

----

Also Bamboo is up there in Hardness Ranking (Janka Rating) @ 14/15 Rating

- Timbers - in the same category -> Grey Box, grey gum, grey iron bark & red iron bark. have similar ratings.

Tas Oak is one of the lowest @ 5-6 Janka Rating.

Also Tas Oak wouldnt be cheaper MTR (I know very late response) for a good quality floor.

Last edited:
Back