Banks giving client a hard time!

One of my clients called last night to say he is having problems getting the finance for the house he wants to buy from me at work. Initially he had a pre-approval from ING and then thought he might shop around for a better deal and ended up getting a pre-approval from St George aswell. However when it came to the crunch both banks had a change of heart and decided they would go to a 95% lend instead of 97% leaving him short with his deposit. He then went to 2 mortgage brokers who also couldn't help him.

Some people might see this as a good thing and say he just needs to save more money or buy a cheaper house but the dumb thing is that both ING & St George pre-approved him to spend up to $850,000 based on the servicability of he and his wife but the house he is trying to buy only costs $457,950. Have to wonder whether the banks are cutting their own throats and how far reaching these new rules are going to be. Presumably there is no-one left that would do the 97% on decent rates?

The lenders are concerned about high LVR's as you know.

I understand what you're saying about his serviceability being good and all but if a deal falls over because he needs a 97% lend, then .......:rolleyes:

On a positive note he has probably saved himself a bunch of NSW stamp duty after yesterday's budget.

No commish for you Sparks.:(.............how're the other job apps going?

We shan't be giving up that easily propertunity! When I had that problem a few years ago I plugged the gap with a personal loan and if their income is such that they could service a much larger loan that could be a last resort as they could get it paid off quite quickly. The conveyancer I found for them is putting them onto someone that can be a bit more creative so hopefuly there will be good news for them soon but we shall see.

I had some good job offers and am excited about the new job starting in July. I won't be going down the route of real estate office but instead I will be in a position to help people wanting to build project homes, custom builds, duplexes, house and land packages etc from Sutherland to Gerringong NSW. So instead of waiting for the right person to come along for the houses I am selling as with this job I will be able to help people build exactly what they are after whether its their dream home or a nice little investment. Top builder throughout Australia, USA, South Africa, Germany and the number one builder in New Zealand but the local franchise is a small friendly office - I can't wait!

Can I suggest talking to members equity bank. They don't deal with mortgage brokers, but do have quite good deals, and as of last week they do 95% plus MLI capitalised on top.

Back