banks really tightening up

had to write a letter saying I live with parents rent free to top up loan .

has changed a lot in last 2 years

what is next ? do you scrunch or fold toilet paper lol

Some lo docs are still around, but most went the way of the dinosaur during GFC. They really aren't needed for anyone who's legit though since a broker can find serviceability with someone or other.

I have been in property for 20 years. As far as my experiences go, its always been like this. There was a brief period just before the GFC when things were a bit slack. Now its back to what its always been.

Perhaps some of the mortgage brokers and ex bankers on this forum can share their experiences? No doubt they will be more informed than those of us who use the bank to borrow just a few times in our lives.

Haven't been in banking for 20 years, but there is a bit of tightening that's happening in lending markets right now, and likely to be over the next few months (high LVR cash outs, IO PPOR/rollovers, etc.). It's all reasonably consistent with this stage of the 'property cycle' though. I also wasn't in banking then, but towards the later part of the 02-04 boom, there was also some tightening in lending standards.

Market lending standards will oscillate with the cycle over time - GFC was a good reminder that brought prudency/stability back to the centre. Saw the decline of no doc/sub prime lending since.

As Dave said, the OP example is pretty common though (can see Westpac Group asking for it).

Cheers,
Redom

had to write a letter saying I live with parents rent free to top up loan .

has changed a lot in last 2 years

what is next ? do you scrunch or fold toilet paper lol

Not an unusual requirement - particularly if servicing is tight.

Cheers

Jamie

What's the reason you're 27 and still living at home? Don't you think its about time you stood on your own 2 feet?

The lender is getting concerned regarding your servicing as you don't have any fall back plan regarding your accommodation should things turn pear shaped.

pinkboy

What's the reason you're 27 and still living at home? Don't you think its about time you stood on your own 2 feet?

The lender is getting concerned regarding your servicing as you don't have any fall back plan regarding your accommodation should things turn pear shaped.

pinkboy

1. I don't see how that is your business but I am moving into PPOR in new year

2. I am only 26

3. Also I have a fair amount of debt that I have been slugging away at last 3 years if you must know

4. I suppose their scrutiny is justified

1. I don't see how that is your business but I am moving into PPOR in new year

Its not, but 10 years living at home after you finish school, don't you think your parents deserve some space from you earlier?

2. I am only 26

I was only going off your previous comment regarding 'financially free at 35 (in about 8 years)', so Im sorry my math is a little off, but you get the idea. Its not your age because we are talking a decade of still living home as an adult.

3. Also I have a fair amount of debt that I have been slugging away at last 3 years if you must know

We all do.

4. I suppose their scrutiny is justified

Something we agree on.

If you're lol worried about the lender lol asking for a fairly basic letter lol, then you may find in the future lol that there will be far more significant hurdles to face lol.

pinkboy

pinkboy

If you're lol worried about the lender lol asking for a fairly basic letter lol, then you may find in the future lol that there will be far more significant hurdles to face lol.

pinkboy

Are you jealous of my retire at 35 goal?

or just some sort of stalker?

Either way I can't see why you would care soo much about my living standards or situation.

I already have faced more significant hurdles in my life than a bank letter I was just finding it weird they needed that letter when they never have before and was sharing it with the online community that also shares an interest in property investment that are usually friendly.

Chill out old man

Ps
Lol

Your bike missing a seat this morning pb? :)

Haha PB's a straight talker.

Batting in for OP - I don't think its that unusual to live at home at 26.

I know in my culture, my folks would love it if I lived with them indefinitely - grew my family and it just merged into a big one. Lots of people I meet in my cultural community do this - they're generally heralded as 'great boys'. Pretty similar in Asian cultures too.

Definitely not my thing, regardless of how much I can save, but sure this is my folks dream. Generally speaking, the 'giving folks space' is not really a custom in eastern cultures.

Cheers,
Redom

Are you jealous of my retire at 35 goal?

No, not really. Im pretty much semi retired at 31 riding my bike more hours than working, and if 2015 works out ok Ill be done working by this time next year.

or just some sort of stalker?

Either way I can't see why you would care soo much about my living standards or situation.

I already have faced more significant hurdles in my life than a bank letter I was just finding it weird they needed that letter when they never have before and was sharing it with the online community that also shares an interest in property investment that are usually friendly.

I don't care of your living standards, but being an adult for a decade and still sponging off the folks doesn't sit well with me, that's all. Unless of course you're a carer of one of your folks, then I would understand.

Chill out old man

31 is the new 21.

Ps
Lol

lol

pinkboy

Back