Barbaric

Well, I dont usually fall into such arguments. But, it is so convenient to blame on the upbringing, which is IMO is ridiculous!

There are many factors. Personality, friends, social circle, school ...etc
Normally; with "problem youth" I'd agree...to a degree.

But this latest round of terrorist-type activity planned is linked to an idealology which is based on a religion.

I've met a lot of young men (and gals) in my life who were less than desirable and "a bit too wild" for everyone's good, but none of them plotted to cut a head or two off.

We have already seen previous examples of terrorist cell members where the kids were very well educated, had good lives and so on.

We cannot blame upbringing on this latest type of behaviour and mentality.

Last edited:
Well, I dont usually fall into such arguments. But, it is so convenient to blame on the upbringing, which is IMO is ridiculous!

There are many factors. Personality, friends, social circle, school ...etc

I'm not blaming anyone, but I just wonder how it happens. It's not as though they are teaching it at our schools, so where does it comes from? Are they born hateful?

I am curious.

How many of you have read the Quran, or parts of it?

I studied the Quran at university. I found it a really attractive religion in terms of rituals and order. What I found offensive was how the Quran had been interpreted (and the interpretations were included in the book). I don't remember too many details as middle-age cognitive decline seems to be setting in, but I certainly remember the interpretations. They were pretty disgusting, and they were written in what is described as their 'bible'.

I am curious.

You are kidding, right?

Who would be bothered when there are soooo many other more interesting and worthwhile things to do with my time.

That's the problem in a nutshell; these nutbags should get a real life...put the friggin book down, get off the prayer mat and get outside and chase a golf ball around with a stick and kill it....much more fun for half a day.

I tried to read the Bible at various times just out of interest...you know; see what all the fuss was about...jeeezusss H.

It astounds me how anyone could spend more than 10 minutes on the pile of tripe.

I like my fiction to be murder mysteries anyway.

I studied the Quran at university. I found it a really attractive religion in terms of rituals and order.
WTF? Now you are scaring me...you don't drive a VW Combi Van, by any chance either now or previously? :D

Part of the reason your post reads like a pile of tosh is that it came after a particularly eloquent and educated post by Francisco. But the bigger reason is that it's full of racist nonsense that you just made up. Hold the bus! Where was I racist? If you have drawn the conclusion that I am targeting a particular race- or more likely religion- then this would be a recognition at the least on your own part that certain races or religions fit the mould. Religion is cultural-not race. You don't choose your race. You do choose your religion and associated behaviour (although some religions do carry a death sentence for apostacy)

By the way, they were protesting (in English) outside the train station on the main road. You can see the shops behind them in video footage, can't see a memorial. It's a little disingenuous to get hysterical about the proximity of the war memorial. All the reputable news sites (so not news.com) are reporting the location as the train station. Fair comment if correct. I wasn't there. Me getting all riled over non existent disrespect to our Diggers is the same as getting riled up about a comic in a different language from a country 1000s of miles away that I can't read and would not have known about

I saw a lot of comments on social media yesterday, where people (whities with aussie accents) were expressing cynicism about the raids. And the initial reports were something like 800 police and one arrest.

What's a refo? Refugee? What's that got to do with anything? Sounds like you'd like to scrap the UN convention on human rights and bring back the white Australia policy. Would happily take plenty of skilled refugees- or at least ones with a good attitude- of assimilation. The persecuted Christians in Iraq I reckon would fit in- culturally more so than others currently arriving- but for economic reasons I don't want to kill our infrastructure esp effectively free medical treatment by opening the floodgates with long term non productive arrivals- we have enough of those born and bred here (I'm referring primarily to whiteys if skin colour is an issue) Extremists like you are living in the past.Hang on a minute- I never chopped anyone's head off.
As for the UN- apart from the issue of a sovereign state giving over power to a third party-why aren't you taking issue with Israel's refusal to return land to the Palestinians as per UN vote?

I'm not blaming anyone, but I just wonder how it happens. It's not as though they are teaching it at our schools, so where does it comes from? Are they born hateful?

There was an Insight episode on SBS where a father feared for his son who wanted to join the terrorists. Where do you think that young guy got his hatred from?

I too ask myself the question: why are people trying desperately to leave countries in the Middle East--countries where they live in fear; ravaged by war; constant harassment and political instability and turmoil due to religious fanatics--and find a new life in Australia (which gives them unemployment benefits, free health care and education) only to then undermine their adopted country by planning abhorrent acts against its citizens, all in an effort to install in the new country the religion that caused all their woes in their country of origin. If anybody believes so fervently in sharia law, it's easy: live in a country with sharia law. But don't come into ours and try to install a regime that has proved unworkable in yours.

If you look at the young people that were the subject of the recent raids and news reporting they are the children of migrants.
Some families migrated to Australia 10 to 20 years ago. One particular family mentioned were Afghan aristocracy and in Australia have professional type employment. Another ran a successful restaurant before retiring.
It's their kids who have grown up in Australia, have been educated here and only recently turned to radical Islam.
Plenty of other kids in similar situations are going about their lives normally without heeding the call of the caliphate.

The ones attracted to the idea of an Islamic State are likely to be a minority.

There was an Insight episode on SBS where a father feared for his son who wanted to join the terrorists. Where do you think that young guy got his hatred from?
Is it a trick question, or do you know what the answer is?

I often wonder how they can go from happy, carefree little boys to ugly, hairy-faced, skull-cap wearing psychos too - especially if their parents seem normal.

It doesn't make sense.

Is it a trick question, or do you know what the answer is?

I often wonder how they can go from happy, carefree little boys to ugly, hairy-faced, skull-cap wearing psychos too - especially if their parents seem normal.

It doesn't make sense.

Many boys have a period of being angry young men. Combine that with religious teaching by people with an agenda aimed at manipulating that and there is your answer. True of lots of societies.

Perhaps its also about not fitting in and looking for acceptance but looking in the wrong places.

Plenty of examples, nothing to do with religion... however young men who join outlaw bikie groups, they feel accepted, feel purpose in life this sort of thing, these groups replace their family. This could be a huge motivation.

Oh yes, you're right. His father was the one who called the police telling them he was frightened his son was about to go to war. Poor family.

As for the UN- apart from the issue of a sovereign state giving over power to a third party-why aren't you taking issue with Israel's refusal to return land to the Palestinians as per UN vote?

Huh? Wouldn't it have been a bit odd if I'd gone off on an Arab/Israeli illegal settlement tangent? Or maybe you are confusing me with someone else? Happy to read a thread you start on the topic.

Sounds like you are also confused about economic migrants and asylum seekers. Completely different visas. Again, sounds like you don't support/understand the right to seek asylum.

If you were Morrison would you have taken the Iraqi Christians and left the yazidis?

I agree with you about the cartoons though. Issuing a fatwa every time someone hurts your feelings is a bit childish.

I am curious.

Nope. Have you? If so, what did you get from it?

I'm not sure reading religious texts is that useful when the interpretation of these texts is so varied. Don't people just pick, choose and ignore anyway?

I would be interested to read a translation of the bits that relate to the prophet Jesus. I can't see how Isis have the same version of that story as the Jesuits for example.

Perhaps its also about not fitting in and looking for acceptance but looking in the wrong places.

Plenty of examples, nothing to do with religion... however young men who join outlaw bikie groups, they feel accepted, feel purpose in life this sort of thing, these groups replace their family. This could be a huge motivation.

I think that's got to be part of it. There was lots written about this after the July 7 bombings in London. Those guys were born and bred in the UK, loved cricket etc... I think they were radicalised at their mosque.

... WTF? Now you are scaring me...you don't drive a VW Combi Van, by any chance either now or previously? :D

A lot of the things taught into the Quran are not too different to Christian teachings. And if you are a person who likes things black and white; who likes to feel that you have a certain control over things; who likes systemisation, ritualistic behaviour, order (which to a certain extent is me, unfortunately), then it's attractive. I can see how people can be drawn to it.

I remember thinking that Mohammed taught a lot of good things. Unfortunately, I think the zealots have twisted his teachings it to suit their purposes.

The version of the Koran I read had very succinctly written interpretations included. For example, 'be kind to everyone' with the interpretation next to it saying 'except the Jews and the infidels'. I could go on. And the references to women were pretty bad too. So: Mohammed was teaching to be kind to everyone, and some human had come along and 'finessed' his teachings.

Back