Basic general investment question

Hi all
I was contemplating my overall investment strategy recently -a balanced mix so that i can spread my risk etc. was thinking 45% shares/45% property/10% cash

If I have eg $90K super invested in shares (i chose shares over other options through my industry fund) and $10K in my own share portfolio - can I consider this to be $100K in shares.
And if I have $100K in equity/offset in my IP properties- Do I then have an equal mix in property and shares?

Or do i completely disregard my super because I cant access it for another 20+ years and concentrate on building up $90K worth of shares to balance out my investment portfolio.
Or maybe it just doesn't matter and I'm overthinking?
Cheers, nat

I would say why the balance or diversification in the first place ?

If there is some structural reason rather than arbitrary number, and the portfolio is based on post retirement estimates then the super should be included.

If u plan to retire earlier than normal then super isn't really in the picture ?

Ta

Rolf

Thanks Rolf and DT.
Wont include super in my planning then.

I would say why the balance or diversification in the first place ?

Basically don't want all my investment money tied up in property. Financial planner recommended 45% property/ 45% shares/10% cash and bonds a few years ago and it stuck, as well as a few books i read about spreading risk.
Cheers, nat

Back