Bassendean character house reno - saveable?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116197971

How much do you reackon it would cost to fix this place, I'm thinking around $100K

See the crack in the walls, that's more than a polyfilla jobbie isn't it? I ask because my sister has similar in her home, some cracks are 1cm wide and she's sticking Polyfilla in them.

What causes these crack? Land subsidence? Would this place be on clay being close to the river?

Would anyone have a go at this or is it a knock down job?

IP or PPOR?

For an IP unless you have a giant resale value at the end, 100k reno is a lot of cash to tie up in a reno that could otherwise be used to multiply results.

IP - done properly resale would be around $750K in that area, wouldn't pay $550 for it, and I don't know if it would cost $100K in renos, would need a builder to go through it first.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92559

The link is one I did last year. I would think you would be up for around 100-120k all up.

If you could get one that you could sub divide and sell the rear, in my opinion that would be preferable.

Looks like there is some rising damp, and definitely problems with footings, you don't get cracks like that without it.

Pay for an inspection before buying would be my recommendation.

wow, totally different house!

unfortunately if you could divide off the rear on the one i listed it would be on for $750K as is, missed that market in Bassendean

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116197971

How much do you reackon it would cost to fix this place, I'm thinking around $100K

See the crack in the walls, that's more than a polyfilla jobbie isn't it? I ask because my sister has similar in her home, some cracks are 1cm wide and she's sticking Polyfilla in them.

What causes these crack? Land subsidence? Would this place be on clay being close to the river?

Would anyone have a go at this or is it a knock down job?

95% sure it would be clay causing the cracking. We purchased a house not far from this one about 7 months ago. The cracks we had are small in comparison, and we're in the process of demolishing the house. We always had planned to demolish, so never went down the path of estimating the costs of restoration.

We had all of the floor boards removed last Friday and I inspected the house today. The wall cracking goes all of the way through the foundations. A number of brick pilings were also on quite a lean.

We're considering building our home on the block, but have some concerns with the clay/cost

I almost purchased a 60's property in Garnsworthy Place, next street, it was immaculate, no cracks, double brick . I have a 60's double brick house in Ashfield with heaps of cracks that keep coming back. It isn't clay. Had it all repaired 2.5 yrs ago and all the cracks are back again. Relatives that owned the property before us say a lot of cracking occurred after an earthquake at Meckering late 60's or 70. Can't confirm if true or not. You would need to have soil test done as condition of purchase. My friends did an extension on West Road (near Deakin Street) 10 years ago - added a couple of rooms for $50,000 do it doesn't sound like they were on clay.
- add - just remembered, 15 years ago my husband chiseled out the cracks in one room, replastered, and the cracks didn't return in that room. It was a huge job! The other rooms where we only used filler is where the cracks keep returning.

Last edited:
If you use "No more gaps" in the cracks, then go over with pollyfila it should not re-appear. Also use a screwdriver under all the cornices and scratch it all out then just No more gaps and wipe clean with a rag!

I think due to the clay/crack conditions the house isn't a good buy. But i will certainly tell my sister to no more gap her cracks as I am sure simple poly fill will just come out.

Back