Bathurst or Taree - good investment areas?

Hi Golla,

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer is - that depends...

What are your goals for the investment - how much do you want to spend, do you want high rent or high growth or or low risk? Do you have properties already or will this be your first one?

What do you think about the economy in these 2 towns? Are there new projects going on you think will bring new money in?

Regional towns can be a good investment - and they can be bad too. Depends on a lot of variables.

More info please?

I agree with knightm

It's a good question. This question should form only a small part of the research that needs to be done to make the decision to buy in that area or not.

It is difficult to comment without knowing what sort of IP you are considering, how much you are thinking of spending, how long you plan on keeping, etc.

So fill in a few blanks and you will find you get more detailed responses.

Best of luck

tut tut to taree

Dear Golla,
I was living in Taree earlier this year so thought a few observations might help you. Over half the population on centrelink benefits and hence the flow on social problems. The better properties tended to be vacant for months as people could not pay that level of rent. The agents I chatted to showed me pages and pages of photos of damage to their rental properties caused by tenants. It was utter vandalism. I decided I would not buy in Taree even though houses were under $250k. There is one nicer area or suburb just past the airport on the way out called Cundletown it seemed ok. I was considering Bathurst a few years ago and still reckon it would be the better choice of the two. Most of the old houses there suffer from a lot of cracking due to the type of soil in the area. It's got the uni hence potential tenants.
I hope this information is of some use. julie

Hi Julie,

I had the same query as Golla. I was thinking of Bathurst or Taree too. I am off to Taree next week for work and was going to look at some places there. I am aware of the demographic and it does concern me but people still need places to live! I do worry about the potential problems there in terms of tenant damage etc. The prices are cheap which is what I am keen as I cant afford to buy in other areas.

Apparently, Taree were the second top in the state for cap growth a few years ago (or last year - cant remember) so buying there probably means you have to hold on even longer to get the cap growth now that the boat has been missed!

Bathurst - I was looking at too (and havn't ruled out) becasue the prices are affordable. The soil thing is a big problem I do agree.

What do you think of Armidale?

I'd look at Orange and Bathurst before Taree.

As mentioned, Taree has massive social problems. Good luck extracting rent from the locals :rolleyes:

Back