Batteries and Hyrdogen Sulphide

TBH's father is visiting at the moment in his 2 yr old diesel powered campervan.

We had it connected up to our mains to run the lights and charge the onboard batteries.

This morning, I noted a really strong rotten egg gas smell in a 3 metre radius around the battery compartment.

I didn't know what was causing it, so suggested we turn off the LPG and wait 5 mins. smell still there. Finally realized it was being generated from the compartment with 2 sealed 12 volt batteries, which were still being charged.

They usually display 13+ volts but after charing all night were still in the low 11s.

The batteries were hot, but not so much you couldn't leave your hand on them for a minute or more.

My understanding is that dysfunctional batteries produce H2S when being overcharged......and that it is a serious fire risk, in that they can explode without warning.

We'll keep the mains disconnected and left the LPG off.....and we'll talk with the manufacturer tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm the seriousness of strong H2S production?
I presume the batteries need servicing or replacement and possibly the vehicle's alternator.

My understanding is that dysfunctional batteries produce H2S when being overcharged......and that it is a serious fire risk, in that they can explode without warning.

Serious - *very* serious..... sounds like the sulphuric acid is getting boiled off.

The Y-man

ps. on top of the toxicity of hydrogen sulfide you would be all too aware of.

It would be an on board charger. A 240 volt extension lead just plugs from a socket on teh side of the van to any 240v outlet.

I thought the alternator/regulator of the van might have done most of the damage to the batteries on the 4 hour drive yesterday.

Or I guess it could be an onboard charger independent of the engine that is pushing out too many volts.

edit:
the van had been sitting idle for 3 months prior to yesterday's drive.....and the original batteries worked fine beforehand.

It would be interesting to know the voltage at the batteries with the engine running, and the extension lead disconected.

It may have a shorted cell (buckled plate) and if wired in paralell, which I'm guessing, would drag the volts down on both batteries.

It would be interesting to know the voltage at the batteries with the engine running, and the extension lead disconected.

It may have a shorted cell (buckled plate) and if wired in paralell, which I'm guessing, would drag the volts down on both batteries.

thanks battler. I've got a good multimeter at work, but will leave everything off until we've spoken to the manufacturer.....TBH's dad thinks it's still under some kind of warranty.

will report back what the issue was after it's been fixed.

actually yes. racq came out and couldn't do much.

so auto electrician came today and said the two batteries were basically stuffed and had been boiling.

the regulators and other bits were all ok according to him.

the batteries were 4 years old even though the van was only bought new ~2 years ago. So the van was sitting in a sale yard in Newcastle for nearly 2 years.

so new batteries it is.
I think tbh's dad had been running the onboard fridge via the batteries rather than the LPG when mobile, and the battery guy said this is really hard on the batteries and not to do it.

If TBH dads want to use the batteries to run the fridge, automotive batteries wont do it, it would require deep cycle batteries, like a forklift battery celll, the plates in automotive batteries are too lightly constructed,
get hot at sustained current draws less than 1/10 of the 'cranking amps' that they advertise
buckle, short, and a 6 cell 12v battery becomes a 10v 5 cell battery so is instantly overcharging and boils dry
H2S outgassing means the battery is irrepairable

maintenance free sealed batteries, are neither maintenance free nor sealed

AB, that makes sense.
I don't know if TBH's Dad was running the fridge on batteries on purpose.
I think he forgot to turn the LPG on a couple of times.
Old retirees and their camper vans :rolleyes:

worked 3 years as BatteryBob in the charger room at WestGate tpt, 300+ forklift batteries, huge 3phase chargers 300A 36V 24/7
with those you can cut out and replace single cells when they fail.
for the camper,
the batteries they put on solar power setups, deep cycle fibreglass wrapped cell plates,
+ a diode so the batteries can recharge, but cant discharge the starter battery

sounds like an ammonia based evap 3 way fridge

I have 2 of these

These are great on LPG, ok on 240 , but suck AMPS on 12 v

Just ok while driving, but reduce a healthy lead acid batt to zippo in a few months

Also got a eutectic 12 v compressor fridge.....bees knees.

ta
rolf

Back