Bed Frame + Mattress or Ensemble for Students?

Hi SS'ers,

Looking for some feedback......we've got about 20 rooms to furnish at our student accommodation facility and am in the process of finalising the furnishing side of things.

I'm just not sure which way to go with regards to the bedding. Here are my 2 options:

1. Metal bed frame with commercial grade (hotel quality) mattress. Total cost will be $5050.00

2. Commercial grade mattress (again, the same hotel grade as above) with matching ensemble. Total cost $5030.

So in terms of price, they're pretty much exactly the same but I want to look at this from a practical and long term point of view, which suits students better? Which will last longer? Which is better overall or which one would you buy if this was you furnishing the homes?

There's pros and cons for both options and I just can't make up my mind :confused:

Some feedback would be great!

A bed frame will give your tenants storage room under the bed.

This could be handy when people are in tight spaces.

Hi SS'ers,

Looking for some feedback......we've got about 20 rooms to furnish at our student accommodation facility and am in the process of finalising the furnishing side of things.

I'm just not sure which way to go with regards to the bedding. Here are my 2 options:

1. Metal bed frame with commercial grade (hotel quality) mattress. Total cost will be $5050.00

2. Commercial grade mattress (again, the same hotel grade as above) with matching ensemble. Total cost $5030.

So in terms of price, they're pretty much exactly the same but I want to look at this from a practical and long term point of view, which suits students better? Which will last longer? Which is better overall or which one would you buy if this was you furnishing the homes?

There's pros and cons for both options and I just can't make up my mind :confused:

Some feedback would be great!

What is the life span you are expecting either of them to last? Will they have some sort of mattress protector (preferably one of those zipped ones) on it?

I'm wondering if purchasing a $99 innerspring mattress each year would be a better way to go.

I have seen plenty of student accomodation which is ikea or worse furniture.

There is less parts of an ensemble to break but I like the look of a bed frame better.

http://www.superamart.com.au/bedroom/bedroom-suites/amy-45041/

Definitely fitted mattress protectors (supplied) and we're expecting them to last 10yrs(ish)...the commercial/hotel mattresses have a 12yr life span.

Thanks for the link....unfortunately if we do a bed frame, it'll simply be a basic metal bed frame (about $100 each)...nothing as fancy as that one pictured :D

Our commercial grade mattresses are only $149 and has a 12yr lifespan so it wouldn't be worth buying a $99 mattress every year or every other year.

I'm wondering if purchasing a $99 innerspring mattress each year would be a better way to go.

i agree with this. Advertising brand new bedding each year (and new tenant) might be a bonus too. Just remember to factor in the cost of dumping the old matteresses.

Our commercial grade mattresses are only $149 and has a 12yr lifespan so it wouldn't be worth buying a $99 mattress every year or every other year.

It sounds like you're a slumlord who doesn't care about your customers so why don't you pick option #2 and save yourself $20.

Oh I thought you meant each bed was $5050 and I was freaking out at that price. You mean all 20 for $5050
Gotch - I feel like a fool :eek:

It sounds like you're a slumlord who doesn't care about your customers so why don't you pick option #2 and save yourself $20.

Ummm, I think you're being a bit harsh there TingTong!

Its not the $20 i'm worried about, If you read my initial post, I wanted to find out what was the more practical and most suitable/preferable option for students!!

And just because i'm not willing to replace and buy a brand new mattress every year (and would love for you to tell me who actually does this, not even hotels/motels do this!) doesn't mean that I don't care about the tenants.....I've had my own bed for at least 8yrs and the mattress is just as good now as it was 8yrs ago.

Mine aren't students but contractors but I have found in the last couple of years to be very user friendly ,if they want the family to stay for the weekend,they just bring a single mattress.
I haven't had any complaints at this stage,but I did buy the thicker mattress,I can look for the prices I paid if you are interested,
The area above is a good for storage or another person ,

Attachments

• new bunk beds with mattresses.jpg
    new bunk beds with mattresses.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 245
I've never had an ensemble. To me, I like the idea of being able to store things under a metal or timber frame and just looking at that ensemble makes me think another fabric surface for some student to spill their noodles or tea or coffee onto.

A student "flopping" onto an ensemble can still break the legs off. If you pick a frame for the bed that isn't likely to damage the walls, that could be a good idea. And what about attaching a timber bumper rail, like a chair rail, painted the same colour as the wall where the bed will bump into? Extra cost, but could save a lot of patching of plaster walls over the years.

Some of the timber beds at A Mart look okay, even the $49 one, but the $179 timber one looks pretty sturdy. Buying 20 should surely give you some bargaining power?

In my experience metal frames get noisier and break quicker than ensemble mattresses. Also bash holes in paint work and gather dust. Plus if you are rearranging rooms or swapping doubles for singles etc frames are a pain at times.

I started off with frames and now all new purchases are ensemble - I love the single beds you can zip together to make king beds if needed for couples. But if ensemble then you need some sort of valance or bed skirt which then needs laundry. And if bed bugs ever get into a place ensembles need to be tossed I think.

Personal preference I guess.

Mine aren't students but contractors but I have found in the last couple of years to be very user friendly ,if they want the family to stay for the weekend,they just bring a single mattress.
I haven't had any complaints at this stage,but I did buy the thicker mattress,I can look for the prices I paid if you are interested,
The area above is a good for storage or another person ,

Unfortunately a bunk won't fit in our teeny tiny bedrooms but yes, I can see how it would be useful for visitors

Ok have decided after taking into consideration everyone's feedback (which helped greatly by the way!), i'll be going with bed frames as opposed to ensembles.

Thanks heaps for everyone's input!

Back