Before/After photos Japan

Hope Patosan and other SS members in Japan are ok.

Even in Chiba/Ibaraki - just north of Tokyo, friends and family of people I know reporting power outages, no water, no petrol, and empty supermarket shelves.

The missing (at this stage one would think pretty much assumed dead) is at 15,000 plus, with 400,000 people in refuge centres around the country.

Add on top of that a reactor (#2) at Fukushima 1 that may have cracked a containment vessel this morning..... :(

The Y-man

Hope Patosan and other SS members in Japan are ok.

Even in Chiba/Ibaraki - just north of Tokyo, friends and family of people I know reporting power outages, no water, no petrol, and empty supermarket shelves.

The missing (at this stage one would think pretty much assumed dead) is at 15,000 plus, with 400,000 people in refuge centres around the country.

Add on top of that a reactor (#2) at Fukushima 1 that may have cracked a containment vessel this morning..... :(

The Y-man

Late last night I read 590,000 people living in refuges / shelters etc

I think the poor peopel still have to wait for it to be actually over before they start looking at where to rebuild....

I agree. I didn't mean to leave out the personal tragedy. I wasn't really just talking about "rebuilding" buildings, but everything, lives, livelihoods, even just finding your loved ones.

One mother interviewed said she was holding her daughter's hand when she was dragged away by the water. The mother looked youngish, so I imagine it was a small child.

I don't know whether I would want to go back, start again, rebuild my life especially if I had lost spouse and/or children or parents.... but what else can they do?

It is so sad. And the nuclear thing on top of it???? As if they haven't got enough to cope with. My husband said watching that wave crash through the countryside was like watching a disaster movie, which it was.

have been watching it every night on the news and tears constantly spring up. horrific is to mild a word for what they are going thru.

one thing that has struck me is how "stuff upper lip" the japanese people are. there is very little touching and showing of emotion - until it becomes overwhelming, like finding a loved one you thought was dead.

For those who have not seen them, here are some before and after photos of the massive damage to Japan. Unbelievable!!! Where would you start to rebuild?

http://www.news.com.au/world/before...mcmp=Newspulse&emchn=Newsletter&emlist=Member

Yeah bloody hell.

And when you see a bus sitting on the roof of a 3 story building , or a 2 story brick house slab and all , being wash out to sea, floating like a cork, it's hard to fathom. And then of course the human tragedy side of it all , we're so lucky we're on pretty stable ground.

have been watching it every night on the news and tears constantly spring up. horrific is to mild a word for what they are going thru.

one thing that has struck me is how "stuff upper lip" the japanese people are. there is very little touching and showing of emotion - until it becomes overwhelming, like finding a loved one you thought was dead.

You would imagine things like that as being a big part of their over disciplined psychic but then also just the magnitude of it all taking days to even comprehend, shock.
It is sad , I mean I know we have it very easy even with our floods,cyclones and fires and then NZ compared something as huge as that but there's been so much of it in our face over this last yr or two , it can't help but effect you can it.
If we haven't been personally kicked from pillar to post lately , we're watching it happen to others .

Thanks for that Pelican. Really explains the gaman attitude very well.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the Japanese and all affected by this tragedy. It really is so devastating and takes the term endurance to a whole new level.

Gotta feel for them.

Food arrives at a shelter to be distributed, and 100's of people form an orderly line. NO sign of complaint at the little ball of rice per 2 people.

People running into an apartment building moments before the water gets to the height of the ground floor and then minutes before it's the height of cars on the street. People in the apartment building performing a daring rescue of people stuck in trees and nearby rooves. A lady gets rescued and when finally on the safe balcony of the apartment with her rescuers, finally breaks down and starts crying & shaking, saying she really thought she was going to die and full of gratitude for her helpers at the same time.

I hope for the best for them, is all I can say

Back