Benefits of using re-draw facility ?

Hi, I've just been to see a mortgage broker. We went through the various options but they came so think and fast my brain has turned to mush.

He mentioned setting up a redraw facility for my mortgage. Where if I leave extra money in my account each month it will offset the interest. I asked him would this mean my payments would slowly come down, he said it wouldn't. So I'm a bit confused as to what he means by offsetting the interest but not affecting my actual repayments. Although,as I said my brain is mush so I could have confused myself.

Can anyone explain in simple English the benefits of using this redraw facility and leaving extra money in my mortgage account each month?
Thanks,
Col

Redraw, in which I put extra money into my account each month, rather than putting one large bulk somewhere (which is what I guess offset is about ??)

Offset and redraw both reduce your interest bill each month. If you have a P&I loan tghen the repayments stay fixed - you just pay a little bit extra principal and a little less interest each time. This will snowball.

Offset has some significant advantages over redraw for taxation benefits if you ever decide to rent out this home. Lets face it - first homes generally get outgrown and offset means you have the option of keeping it and transferring your paid down equity to a new home.

If you need more info just ask.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hiya Colin

Both offset and redraw can achieve similar things except as simon said, where tax issues come to play.

think of redraw like a HQ 1973 Holden poverty pack with a 3 on the tree and and wall to wall vinyl , and offset as a 2006 Commodore :)

ta
rolf

Back