Best Loan Structure to Pay Down ASAP

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a PPOR in the next few months and my max budget is about 270K.

Looking at P+I repayments for some loans and they still leave me with about $800 per week of disposable income.

Considering I'd like to pay down my mortgage as soon as I can, what loan structure would best help me reduce interest repayments and the term of the loan? Basically, how best can I utilise this $800 p/w left over to my advantage?

I'm looking for specifics such as loan term, principal + interest or interest only, 100% offset?, extra/lump sum repayments, fixed or variable, which lender etc etc...

Thanks!

Basically the only way to pay down a loan quickly is to make repayments - as much and as quickly as possible. Getting the lowest rate possible also helps.

Add to this a 100% offset account and a 55 days interest free credit card for purchases will mean you can squeeze much more out of it.

The best way to pay down a loan is simply to make repayments....other tricks like paying repayments fortnightly rather than monthly can shave 7 years off a 30 year mortgage.

More important question is though - why do you want to pay it off like this?

There is no right or wrong answer without knowing what your long term IP strategy is. That will dictate how to set up your PPOR loan.

Regards

Shahin

lets back the runaway truck up a little .................

Why ?

and

whats your intention with this place in say 5 or 10 years time?
t
arolf

Well wouldn't extra repayments drastically reduce the amount of interest I pay, and also shave years off the term of the loan?

The quicker I build equity in it too, the quicker I can use that equity to fund IP's. Or am I wrong in saying that?

Basically, I'm left over with quite a bit of disposable income every week, and would like to best know where to put it. Offset account? Extra repayments?

I plan to sell this property in say 7 - 10 years time - not for any significant capital gain, but probably because in my early 30's i'll want an upgrade from a small one bedder.

Well wouldn't extra repayments drastically reduce the amount of interest I pay, and also shave years off the term of the loan?

The quicker I build equity in it too, the quicker I can use that equity to fund IP's. Or am I wrong in saying that?

Basically, I'm left over with quite a bit of disposable income every week, and would like to best know where to put it. Offset account? Extra repayments?

I plan to sell this property in say 7 - 10 years time - not for any significant capital gain, but probably because in my early 30's i'll want an upgrade from a small one bedder.

IO with offset gives you more flex...............

Even though u may be looking at selling the property whn upgrading, various circumstances might make that unfavourable at the time

ta
rolf

IO with offset gives you more flex...............

I thought interest only wasn't the best option for a PPOR - as you essentially pay little (if any) of the principal off and it's essentially "just like renting" from the bank?

I may be wrong here, but wouldn't a principal+interest standard variable be more suitable for a PPOR?

Thanks for your help.

If you pay the extra repayments into the offset account, you will pay EXACTLY the same amount of interest as with PI and paying the extra into the loan

ta
rolf

IO is a type of strategy - its not for everyone and if used properly in the right way it can be fantastic. If used incorrectly then it will set you back.

Regards

Shahin

Back