Best pockets in Sunshine (MEL) looking for forumites views!

Guys -n- Gals

i'm thinking Sunshine has alot going for it, in terms of price for house and land, i expect i can get a reasonable 3bed cally bungalow or vic/edw house on 500-800m2 block for around 250-300K, being only around 14-15 km from the city and having good train access into the CDB via sunshine and albion stations.

negatives are poor image/impressions/drug issues? i'm not sure probably lots of others;

I think this part of the middle west melbourne is due for a bit of a pickup or ripple effect thats kicking in yarraville/seddon etc

Is there potential for sunshine to improve and see reasonable long-term growth - i think so.

My question is does anybody have advice on the better streets / areas in Sunshine or indeed bits to avoid.

thanks in advance:D :D

negatives are poor image/impressions/drug issues? i'm not sure probably lots of others;

I think this part of the middle west melbourne is due for a bit of a pickup or ripple effect thats kicking in yarraville/seddon etc

Just an opinion, but I think negatives outweigh positives this far out in the west. Sure you'll get long-term growth, but you can buy almost anything and in the long-term (>8-10 years), anything will go up in value considerably. I personally invest with a medium term outlook. I think you could do much better than Sunshine in the medium term.

GSJ

thanks for your comments GSJ

sunshine is about 12-15km from the cbd, the equivalent on the east (going by distance to CBD) are suburbs like burwood/boxhill/doncaster, so for similar style period houses sunshine is typically around half the price.

Had a drive around sunshine yesterday, reasonable strips in the centre, some nicer streets than others, fair few dodgy looking shops too though,

A large mix of differing cultures many greek/asian/african/eastern european folk and shops etc not much of a cafe culture but a few nice looking places to eat on hampshire rd etc

there appears a nice pocket called Matthews Hill, which is 5-10mins walk from station and nice houses on wide treelined streets. Its SE of the station on the map, a few streets with dodgy looking tire marks on the road indicating hoon behaviour, wonder how safe the parking area is close to the station

jizzlobber, there was at least 2 X 'dodgy' in your last post!

I'm sure you could find some places of value in Sunshine, I just think the so called 'ripple effect' will take much longer to hit Sunshine in a significant way.

GSJ

I just remembered what happened to a friend of mine who was working at Sunshine Hospital 2 years ago. There is an open air public car park outside the hospital, on Furlong Rd. I think it was, and my friend was walking out of the car park to go to work at the hospital one evening. He was carrying a laptop at the time - bad move - some loser stabbed him in the back with a knife, stole his laptop and ran off. Fortunately, the emergency department wasn't too far away.

This is just an anecdote, and isn't necessarily a common occurrence in Sunshine.

GSJ

This is just an anecdote, and isn't necessarily a common occurrence in Sunshine.

Actually, this is quite a common occurrence in Sunshine. Not necessarily stabbings alone, but a lot of violence especially around the train station and shopping strip areas.

I tend to agree with GSJ regarding the short to medium term growth prospects on Sunshine. Sure it will do well in the long term but probably not for a few years yet. It depends on your goals and what your plans are.

Regards,
Ozi

Actually, this is quite a common occurrence in Sunshine. Not necessarily stabbings alone, but a lot of violence especially around the train station and shopping strip areas.

Oh really! Maybe it's better to be further away from train stations and shops in these parts?!

Jizzlobber, you could actually call Victoria Police head office, and speak to the statistician there, who is very helpful. He can give you some statistics of crime figures in Sunshine and surrounding suburbs over the phone.

GSJ

I wasn't living in Australia back then but didn't Footscray have the same problems 10 years ago?

Yes, and last time I checked it still does. Crime rates in Footscray were quite high when I checked with the statistician at Vic Police a couple of years ago.

GSJ

Yes, and last time I checked it still does. Crime rates in Footscray were quite high when I checked with the statistician at Vic Police a couple of years ago.
GSJ
Really? Is there any publications or links to back this up?

I thought the same thing a few years back, but having parked my car 2-3 times a week for the last 5 years at footscray station, and eating out about once a week along the main footscray cbd I never experienced any of it.

Sure I've seen a few undesriables, but not any more that you'd see in the CBD or other inner city areas.

...then again maybe I'm just lucky? :)

I wasn't living in Australia back then but didn't Footscray have the same problems 10 years ago?

It sure did, and still does to some degree, but this is slowly changing. A lot of the issues with drugs, theft, violence etc are slowly getting pushed out of Footscray further out west, to Braybrook and Sunshine :D

Cheers,
Ozi

I agree with GSJ. It just so happened I went to a friends BBQ in Sunshine on Saturday night. Pretty scary area. It felt like I was driving through a industrial wasteland for most of the journey. Every house in the street had those fortress style window security shutters. The home I went to had a 2.5 meter iron bar fence around it.

Is this an area of high emotional demand from owner occupiers and limited supply? Surely all of that industrial land could be converted into residential in a flash IF there ever was demand for it.

sunshine is about 12-15km from the cbd, the equivalent on the east (going by distance to CBD) are suburbs like burwood/boxhill/doncaster, so for similar style period houses sunshine is typically around half the price.

The population centre of Victoria is currently around Chadstone. I read somewhere that it's moving out towards Berwick.

My questions is, do you want more 'growth' or more 'building'?

The population centre of Victoria is currently around Chadstone. I read somewhere that it's moving out towards Berwick.

Yes, it's somewhere in the Glen Iris/Chadstone area.

I don't think it's moving much at the moment as Wyndham/Melton/Craigieburn/Whittlesea would cancel out Casey/Cardinia.

Peter

Ok well, I actually live in the general Sunshine area, and reading these posts you now have me quite scared!!!! :eek:

Seriously, I think it's easy to form impressions from an 'outside' point of view, but from where I stand, your impressions - and certainly those generally held by the public - tend to be a bit over the top.

Yes, Sunshine has it's share of crime - but quite honestly, I feel more vulnerable and ill-at-ease walking around Footscray than Sunshine! I have lived here for nearly five years and have not (touch wood!) been mugged/attacked or had anything similar happen to me in that time, nor do I know of anyone who has. I think the media tend to jump on anything that happens here because it helps support the perception that people already have about the place.

Let me give you some positives about the area - and there are many. As the OP pointed out, we have fantastic access to the city via the Ringroad. Central Sunshine has a mega movie complex, lots of shopping, huge library and surprising to some I'm sure, but some fantastic schools & kindergartens (and I'm talking waiting lists where people are turned away because the demand is so strong). There is a new indoor swimming complex under construction as we speak (and pssst I believe an announcement is forthcoming this Thursday re a 25metre outdoor pool). There are cafes opening left right and centre - some great places including Mambos and The Granary http://www.thegranary.com.au/. Best of all, there is a fanastic community spirit in the area, with lots of young families moving into pockets like Albion, Ardeer & West Sunshine - doing up houses and setting up parents groups, playgroups and the like.

All this stuff isn't reported in the media, but trust me, it's happening. Let's keep it our little secret, shall we? :D

PS: Although our daughter will be going to a private school in another area where we hope to move so we are closer to her school, we will be holding onto our Sunshine property!!

Sunshine: Postcode 3020...:)

Median Houses Price 1994: $84,500....2004: $240,000 change of 184%

Chadstone: 1994: $132,000....2004: $338,500 change of 156%

Glen Iris: 1994: $245,145....2004: $655,000 change of 167%

Gisborne: 1994: $116,250....2004: $290,000 change of 149%

Kyneton: 1994: $90,000....2004: $201,500 change of 124%

Mt Macedon: 1994: $178,500....2004: $388,750 change of 118%

Diggers Rest: 1994: $86,000....2004: $189,000 change of 120%

New Gisborne: (Spiderman; how is this? if you are out there... and can shed some light on the difference b/w Gisborne and New Gisborne...I am puzzled?)
1994: $97,000....2004: $277,750 change of 186%

Crime Statistics..

As I tidy up here in my little office, I have uncovered my Crime Stats for where you live:

Please note this comes with a caution: Interpret carefully...it is a list of crimes recorded across the State during 2004/05.

When these stats were done the Police revealed a crime was recorded in Victoria every 84 seconds. Most in the Melb. CBD, Frankston and Dandenong.

Statistics are always, always subject to interpretation:

Melbourne City.... Crimes recorded: 20,983

Footscray: 5280

Footscray West/Maidstone...1660

Sunshine/Albion....4321

St Albans+East/Kealba/Kings Park....3418

Ardeer....300

Braybrook....823

Wyndham Vale/Mambourin/Mt Cott....336

Laverton/Altona Meadows....1492

Hop Hop Hoppers Crossing:...2557

Werribee+ South Derrimut: ...3576

Ascot/Maribynong:...2741

Coburg North:...1023

Coburg/+ East/Moreland....2843

Chirnside Park....516

Malvern/Kooyong....1045

St Kilda....4667

Port Melbourne...1552

Frankston North....610

ChelternhamChelt East ....2240

Kew East...175

Kew/= North/Studley Park...1369

Toorak...827

Moonee Ponds...1650

Broadmeadows/Dallas....2790

Carlton South....2596

Carlton North....821

Doveton....995

Dandenong/Bangholme....6244

Mildura....3190

Macedon....88

Burwood/Bennettswood.....634

Box Hill+ South/Wattle Park ....1672

Box Hill North/Kerrimuir.....454

Doncaster.....1157

Doncaster East.....785

There are a lot of places, I think I will stop...it is courtesy from Sundayheraldsun...Jan 1 2006.

This is interesting info of/about stats:

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/ti160.pdf

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/rpp/45/07_Ch2.pdf

thanks for your comments suburbangurl and research by obsession;

i think sunshine is still worth a punt for investment.

10yr+ investment is likely to be safe enough i reckon

Back