best wireless broadband

I'm a very happy internode customer but they don't do wireless broadband:(

I will be on the Gold Coast for a couple of months so what would you recommend?

Thanks

it depends on how much of it you use

i currently subscribed to vodafone's $39 plan where you get 5GB and free modem with 2 yr contract

then there is also Three, with their 2GB for $29

and there is Virgin Broadband/phone bundle for $69 with 8GB of data and free calls

The vodafone and three deal are both for wireless. Come with a free USB modem. Haven't heard about the virgin one.

I've heard of the virgin deal, it seems a good one judging from the reviews, particularly for short term renters or people moving house every year or so.

Yes i was talking wireless in all 3 cases. Isn't it what the question was?;)

Quite happy with the coverage although i haven't used it in rural areas.

Essentially if you have coverage on your mobile, you will have it on internet as well. If it cannot access 3G network it will drop back to GPRS.

Yes i was talking wireless in all 3 cases. Isn't it what the question was?;)

Quite happy with the coverage although i haven't used it in rural areas.

Essentially if you have coverage on your mobile, you will have it on internet as well. If it cannot access 3G network it will drop back to GPRS.

Apologies all and especially Strannik......I was surprised at how cheap those deals were....Seems they have got better in the last 4 mths.....

it depends on how much of it you use

i currently subscribed to vodafone's $39 plan where you get 5GB and free modem with 2 yr contract

then there is also Three, with their 2GB for $29

and there is Virgin Broadband/phone bundle for $69 with 8GB of data and free calls

Hi Strannik,
I am just on the edge of sacking telstra and signing up for one of these plans. Probably the VODAPHONE one that you are on.

I talked to a nerd in my local computer shop and he said that the GPRS/3G option was too slow. About dial up speed he said.

I think he was meaning that in my area I would be on GPRS all the time, not 3G.

Do you find that the plan is quick enough?

Anyone else have experience on this.?

I went to most parts of the Queenland Coast from Bundaberg down to Brisbane and Toowoomba with a Telstra G3 Wireless and it is brilliant. Flows and streams like a dream!

So i can't say anything bad about it but it was a bad price i.e very expensive. It has come down a little in price since then. It's a good option to have a splurge for a month or two when you need it but most want to lock in a plan for 12-24 months.

The provider that comes down in price considerably will make a million! I for one am waiting to be able to use wireless broadband for good and kill Telstra phone lines forever.

Hi Strannik,
I am just on the edge of sacking telstra and signing up for one of these plans. Probably the VODAPHONE one that you are on.

I talked to a nerd in my local computer shop and he said that the GPRS/3G option was too slow. About dial up speed he said.

I think he was meaning that in my area I would be on GPRS all the time, not 3G.

Do you find that the plan is quick enough?

Anyone else have experience on this.?

Well at the moment i'm in the middle of Ipswich and it still works on 3G.

When it's on a 3G it's very quick, haven't had it on GPRS yet, but GPRS will be like a dialup. So your best bet would be to check coverage maps of different providers and find the one with coverage in the areas you plan to use it.

Hiya

I use Next G telstra, after having replaced ny trusty CDMA connection

Good side................great coverage at the lowest speed ( GPRS) ok coverage with UMTS.

Bad side....................not cheap, and if roaming oversease, stupidly expensive at 15 c a kb

Also run the 5 GB vodafone plan, similar CITY and Metro coverage as for telstra, BUT poor in the bush or on the water.

If stationery wireless ( which mine isnt) and in so so coverage , you could benefit much from an external aerial........................moving you from GPRS to UMTS............from snore to quite quick. The Vodafone unit doesnt seem to have provision for an external.

JUst came back from a trip to Europe where in Germany had a fast UMTS wireless for 29 Euros, with mini modem, and get this ..........unlimited and unshaped usage :)

ta
rolf

Back