Biggest loss (as % of net worth at the time).

Biggest loss (as % of net worth at the time).

• < 1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10%

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 41-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-60%

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 61-70%

• 71-80%

• 81-90%

• 91-100%

• > 100%

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Curious as to the biggest hit to net worth you've taken (in a 12 month period) during the course of your adult lifetime; whether through a single decision, movements of a market or an entire economy.

Feel free to share details such as age, loss, and what you learned.

Its a hard poll for me, as I didn't lose it at the push of a button. It was over a protracted period.

The first one was Macbank fusion fund. I took a protected position and proceeded to loose $50k over 5years. But was locked in so little I could really do.

The second one was a block of land I purchased in a development - just before the GFC hit. It dropped to below half its value, but I held as I couldnt afford to lock in the loss (I wasn't in a position to hold the ~50% LVR difference) So I kept it and just kept paying interest on it. I still own it, and will one day build my PPOR on it. It has doubled in value from its low - but is still only about 2/3 of the original purchase price. However, I have paid down the debt to 80% of the original loan and will clear the loan in the next 6months.

Blacky

More than 100% here. A combination of GFC, dropping property values and trading cfds. We had over 1 million net worth at the time and at the worst point were -$250 000 in equity.
We have managed to keep all our properties and are now in a positive equity position but I think it will take about another 5 years to really get back on track.
So, after retiring at 45 and 50 we are now looking at 55 and 60 at the earliest. :(
Unless there is a nice big boom in there ;)

Curious as to the biggest hit to net worth you've taken (in a 12 month period) during the course of your adult lifetime; whether through a single decision, movements of a market or an entire economy.

Feel free to share details such as age, loss, and what you learned.

I voted 30-40% and Age has no importance at all,the loss in the "GFC" was about 30-40 % over several weeks-months,the equities prices just kept going down mini upswings then the same spiral downwards,even when I put a few unencumbered titles on the line and bought back in they still went downwards , it was like riding a wave at pipeline when it's all flat then the trade winds come in and your in a tidal wave,but that was 6 years ago
everyone of the Banks came back in value and beyond,the best days of my investing life..imho..then came the 2011 Brisbane floods but for legal reasons I will let that one sit till 2016..

Any men who have been divorced could probably cite a 50-60% loss of their assets. That's assuming the divorce took less than 12 months so it fits in with your criteria.

I lost $45k last month on a bad deal.

lost $8000 share trading when I was 17.

as a % that would have been about 8000% of my net worth at the time. fortunately that also happened to turn into my most profitable week.

The comment about a divorce costing around 60% was one I could vouch for. Also bought an IP at the top of the market in 2008. Just about breaking even now with the rent, but could still not sell it for what I paid for it.

Back