Bigpond

Gawd I hate PigBond...if it wasn't such a pain at this time I'd change them.

Their ADSL packages
200MB
400MB
or
12 Gig.

That's like wanting to buy a Commodore and being given the choice of a Skateboard, a Bicycle or a Mack truck. Gotta love Telstra's pitch though...."but its a really fast truck..."

RANT MODE OFF

Have you the opportunity to go with someone else eg: TPG, IInet?

If you do, leave.

I dont, as there are no more ports in my area and no upgrades are going to happen so was forced to accept telstra cable, or dialup as my only alternative.

Now I have it, even though its more expensive than what I used to have (TPG adsl2+) I am happy to at least have a fast connection, and, make full use of it.

Dave

ha ha - similar thing happened when i was getting a data package on my optus mobile... i can't remember the figures exactly, but it was $5 a month for sweet FA, $10 a month for a a little more then SFA or $15 a month for unlimited....

I mean why wouldn't everyone just go for the $15 and avoid excess charges?? i mean i know it is $120 a year difference, but considering i had just been hit with a $180 bill for data charges - for unknown reasons, because they can't tell me what i was doing to cause this charge - it made perfect sense.

Dava...aka Boatboy.

I'm on the north west ouskirts of Sydney, very hilly and semi rural, so I kinda have to go with Telstra, as a tree seems to go through a line every other day. We also don't get Wireless at present.

By the way, the boat in the pic, what is it. I'm on mailing lists for Seawind and Lightwave catarmarans.

You don't have to go with Bigpond for ADSL - lots of companies resell Telstra's ADSL product and offer better plans and features than Telstra do.

You can also now get ADSL2+ via Internode on a Telstra port http://www.internode.on.net/news/2008/12/122.php (also check out the other options)

Here's their complete range of ADSL options (bound to be a plan that suits you):

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/

... this roadmap might help explain all the various options:

http://www.internode.on.net/products/broadband/roadmap/

You can use their online coverage checker to identify which options are available to you specifically (based on your phone number):

https://secure.internode.on.net/webtools/internode-dsl-finder

Internode is great. Go with them if you can.

The only reason you *need* to be locked to Telstra is if you're on wireless and there's no ADSL, which is the situation I'm in. But I must say, Telstra's wireless is excellent quality, 10G is better than the SFA 3G they used to offer and I think someone in the planning department was swapped by someone with a clue lately as their plans are now SHAPED :confused::confused:

I'll have to sign with Telstra soon myself as I'm moving to outback WA and there is no other provider. The price I'll have to pay for wireless internet is basically highway robbery - $80 per month for 3gig (from memory) when everyone else charges something like $20 per month for 10gig or more.

Is there a company that will work out what the best plan is for you for where you live and what you tend to use? I would pay for that as a one off service. I personally don't want to do the research, but I'm also stuck with bigpond and had to increase to a 25 gb plan to stop the old "you have been slowed messages".

I just don't want to research it all.

Is there a company that will work out what the best plan is for you for where you live and what you tend to use? I would pay for that as a one off service. I personally don't want to do the research, but I'm also stuck with bigpond and had to increase to a 25 gb plan to stop the old "you have been slowed messages".

I just don't want to research it all.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Dave - might be worth checking the Internode option instead.

Telstra - worst provider of anything. EVER.

Believe me mate, I checked everything, used mobile dongles (bad reception) lodged complaints to the TIO, even looked at string and cans:D.

I hate Telstra, have had nothing but grief with them in the past, but had no option if I wanted anything faster than dialup.

The only way to get something else was to wait for someone else to move who had ADSL, but the port still stays allocated to that address for 3 mths allowing the new owner to take up the connection.

If they don't take it up it then becomes available and if I happen to apply on the day, I get it.

There is no "next in line" waiting list.

I think telstra are fine, once you jump through all their hoops, pay twice as much as the other service providers, learn to keep a prolonged grip on your ankles and agree to sell your soul to the devil.

Dave

I'll have to sign with Telstra soon myself as I'm moving to outback WA and there is no other provider. The price I'll have to pay for wireless internet is basically highway robbery - $80 per month for 3gig (from memory) when everyone else charges something like $20 per month for 10gig or more.
All the plans changed in August this year. We are on 10G for about $65 a month, but i don't know if the half-price-for-a-year thing is still going. We're on a 3 year plan and also have telstra mobile and home phone. Telstra wireless runs on their NextG network so if you have a NextG phone you can check the reception.

How can wireless not work if the tower is 5 houses away? Its about 5km away from us and we get brilliant reception, although we have an external antenna on the roof because we're in a bloody great big solid stone house and not much of anything gets through those walls.

RE, I checked with Telstra about a month ago and unless I get telstra mobile and home phone before getting wireless internet I am stuck with the $80 p/m for 3 (or 5?) gig. I initially wanted the wireless broadband for when we were on the road but Mr Natmarie has baught a new phone that will double as a modem and give us internet most places so now I can wait until I get settled before thinking about internet. I also don't want a home phone because I will be getting VOIP so the lower Telstra internet prices probably won't apply to me anyway :(.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting the 'with eligible services' they always throw in the fine print on their discounts. We ignore them because we've had the mobile with Telstra for like 5 years ... *******s threw us off CDMA onto NextG this year and made us bin our nice old phone and buy a new one :mad:

Back