Bill Zheng article

Interesting to see Zheng comment that the sweet spot is less than LVR of 50-80%.

It wasn't that long ago where he was suggesting to capitalize interest repayments and borrow as much as possible.

I also remember those times too :)

It is interesting to observe how the "advise" changes in order to fit the interest of the person providing it :cool:

I also remember those times too :)

It is interesting to observe how the "advise" changes in order to fit the interest of the person providing it :cool:

Yep. And the problem is that if you followed the advice of the time you'd be chopping and changing too much. The performance of your investment would need to be way above average to compensate for your transaction costs not to mention the value of your time.

Eg buying too much too fast, over-leveraging and then deciding to deleverage (ie sell) when everyone else is. My crystal ball isn't that good so that game's not for me.

A less volatile and more moderate approach of avoiding very high or very low LVRs might work out better long-term. The avoidance of rash buying and panic selling may even lead to above average results even if the growth performance of your properties is no better than anyone else's.

I have read gold bug articles suggesting inflation is much higher than this even. Compound this for 20 years and see the effect of time.
The economic/financial environment today is very different to 20 years ago. Yes, if you'd leveraged to the max and bought as many properties as you could at various times over the last 20 years and managed to hold them all you've probably done very well, but there's no guarantee that something that has worked over the last 20 will work over the next 20.

If you have a look at the graphs provided by Shads on the last page you will see that relative to incomes prices have risen roughly 60% higher (over the past 20 years) and have been sitting at this peak for sometime now. It's unlikely that house prices will rise over the next 20 like they have risen over the last 20.

Steve Keen suggests that we will see a debt deflation environment over the next couple of decades which will be similar to that seen in Japan. If inflation is good for debt then I'm sure you can workout how deflation works out for debt :)

Deflation is no good for anyone, and govt will fight tooth and nail to stop it. Of course, that may not be enough, but right now there's plenty of money in the kitty and room to move on economic policy if need be.

If you have a look at the graphs provided by Shads

Shads? Reverting back to tech_support speak?

Steve Keen suggests that we will see a debt deflation environment over the next couple of decades which will be similar to that seen in Japan

Steve Keen has a dreadful track record for predictions. Pretty much every prediction he has ever made regarding Australia has turned out to be wrong...

01 - In 2006, Keen said we may already be in a recession
02 - In 2006, Keen said the Australian Debt/GDP ratio would exceed 160% by 2007
03 - In 2006, Keen said Australia will be in recession long before our Debt/GDP ratio falls
04 - In 2008, Keen said interest rates would be at 2% by 2009, and ZIRP by 2010
05 - In 2008, Keen said we would have double digit unemployment (up to 20%)
06 - In 2008, Keen said we would have a severe recession, possibly a depression
07 - In 2008, Keen said house prices would be down 40% within 'a few years'
08 - In 2008, Keen admitted he was hopelessly wrong on house prices after losing a bet with Rory Robertson
09 - in 2008, Keen sold his Sydney home at a cyclical low point, just before prices rose 20%
10 - In 2010, Keen predicted an accelerating rate of decline in Australian house prices
11 - Between 2008 and 2011, Keen claimed the Australian property bubble began in 1964, 1983, and 1988
12 - In 2008, Keen said his biggest regret was not buying property at the start of the property bubble in the 1970s

Every one of Steve Keen's calls and predictions listed above has been way off the mark. And also very inconsistent, such as claiming on various occasions that the Australian property 'bubble' began in 1964, 1983, and 1988, and that his biggest regret was not buying property when the 'bubble' began in the 1970s. He seems to just make it up as he goes along.

Google 'Steve Keen did not predict the GFC' for more details, and links to the source for all those failed Steve Keen predictions/calls.

I don't really agree with Bill Zheng here.

He says we should hold growth property with a neutral cash flow, say 50% geared. That's a lot of capital to tie up for a neutral cash flow.

On a 500k property, you may have an initial negative CF of 10 k per year after tax if fully geared upfront. If 50% geared, you would be CF+ by 3k per year.

Is it worth tying up 250k of capital for 13k of CF per year? That's a 5% return. You could do better putting your capital on bank shares for example.

You could do better putting your capital on bank shares for example.

points taken, but bank shares are probably the last place you should be looking for security. With the property option, at least there is a much larger debt deflating than just an unleveraged share portfolio. not to say you cant gear up the shares a bit.

Leaving aside the investment advice for the stuff on money supply and inflation is absolute ******** as any first year economics student at Uni should be able to tell you.

agree - it struck me in a similar fashion. but then you need to adapt to changing times. it's important to note that it is all relative to the cashflow... if it was postive then gear up to the wozza

I agree. I have to say in the past I've found what Bill has said to be very interesting, effective and have used them personally. The fact that he has changed tact really isn't a bad thing, if anything, he's doing better than those that still promote investment strategies that 'used to' work well.

I myself am moving forward with more of a focus on cashflow - it's got to be neutral or better for me.

If anyone has more information on the current strategy he advises in his Wealth Acceleration Workshop I'd really like to hear about it.

I emailed them and got this reply:

Just to recap on the 2.5 hours presentation:

1) The first part is about how to identify property opportunities in the current market and what is the biggest change in the property market over the next 15 years that we have not seen in the last 50 years.

2) The second part is to show you a system Bill discovered, after working with a few thousand property investors directly, how you can potentially build a passive net income of over $100K within 5-10 years on a normal personal income and only buying standard 3-5% yield & 7-9% growth investment properties in normal suburbs.

This system has not been shown anywhere in Australia apart from the Wealth Acceleration Workshop, currently it is almost impossible for an average person to achieve such an outcome within such a time frame, and we can show you how that can potentially be done by combining finance, property, planning & risk management.

Surely LVRs in the above would have to be 80%+?

would be interesting to know the system that thousands are using but is quite a big secret?

The "system" revolves around selling part of your properties and buying the house and land packages they are selling. e.g you sell 4 of your 6 properties then, you purchase 3 house and land packages from them. So, you end up with 5 properties and some cash. Then, a few years down the track you sell another 3 properties and purchase 2 house and land packages from them again. So, you end up with some spare cash again. The idea is to use the spare cash to pay down remaining mortgages. The idea is to end up with a LVR of around 20%-30%. So, in a very raw way, that's the "secret" :eek:

Why would their H&L packages be better than buying established?

Generally established properties are better value as there is no developer or sales agent margin on top (I'm talking $20k margin for a H&L package, not the usual 2-3%!).

Why would their H&L packages be better than buying established?

Generally established properties are better value as there is no developer or sales agent margin on top (I'm talking $20k margin for a H&L package, not the usual 2-3%!).

development margin? offset against interest cost during construction, offset against stamp duty savings

The fact that this Zheng guy misunderstands basic economics should make people pause before following any of his advice.

Back