Bill Zheng / Investors Direct Feb Seminars

Looking at going to the one in Sydney.

I saw Bill early last year and he was spot on about some of the stuff particularly in relation to the tightening of credit.

He is always good value.

I love going to Bill's seminars, but I'm in Brisbane on the 7th Feb (when he's in Sydney), and in Sydney on the 8th Feb (when he's in Brisbane).

Do'h!

Can anyone take some awesome notes?? :)

Last I heard it was do reno's and value add.

From my experience you just can't get the bank vals to make it worthwhile now...

Surely long term if he is correct, this sort of thing can only increase yields on rental properties.

If less people can borrow and values stagnate / drop, ppl have to live somewhere and rents will remain steady / increase.

Surely not a bad thing for property investors who can (a) save money to pay down loans / get higher deposits and (b) ppl with significant existing equity to tap. Less reliance on CG and better cashflow to make it all work.

From what I am reading from him and after attending his last seminar in Brisbane (could have supplied lunch by the way! - geeze!) the message seems to be that in order to make money you have to find ways to produce your profit i.e. reno's, conversions etc. The assumption that you just buy a property and its goes up in value is old hat.

I suppose their is nothing new in this concept. Most good investors make their profit when they buy and not crossing your fingers and hoping for capital gains

I suppose their is nothing new in this concept. Most good investors make their profit when they buy and not crossing your fingers and hoping for capital gains

You're quite right, there is nothing new in this concept. However, Bill's issue is that not a lot of people see it this way. There are still a lot of people out there expecting to make good $$$ with a buy, do nothing and hold strategy. He's been pushing the message for a while now.
Also, the old paradigm was "never sell". Bill is encouraging people to think about buying, adding value and turning the project over, taking a profit in the process. Then doing it over again. He refers to the coming era as the Production Era.
I've talked to him about this and he is certainly VERY passionate about his Production Era :)

I went to the last seminar and his information about the coming recession or mini-recession has been pretty much spot on.

I can't make the Sydney one this Sat but would love for anyone that can to take some notes!

PS: I fell for the promo CD of the seminar and haven't listened to it once.....keep your hands in your pockets unless you are certain you NEED what you are buying.:)

Regards JO

Meh, I am not so excited about going now. Buy, renovate & hold is what we've always done. Have already decided to renovate & sell a couple instead, especially when no one else is buying. Hopefully there is more in Bill's seminar than this.... especially as I don't want a few hundred other investors deciding to now adopt the same strategy, LOL. :p

Most good investors make their profit when they buy and not crossing your fingers and hoping for capital gains

If you buy undesirable or the "average" property he is probably right. If you buy property that is in high demand, you will most certainly benefit from strong price growth over the long term without doing anything - even in the future. It's worked for the last few decades - what's changed? It is the simple laws of supply and demand that have been around for 100's of years and are still at work in today's (stock) market.

It is land that's goes up in value - not renos. Renos are depreciation items. You get quick shot of growth (value) from a reno and that's it. Give me land any day - should increase year on year.

Profit is not made when purchased. How much can you make? $20k, $40k, $60k. The true value in property (IMO) is its ability to be double the value in 7 to 10 years. That will make you $100's of thousands.

After a bust comes a boom. Instead of sinking dollars into improvements, shouldn't we be getting ourselves ready for the next boom? It's not rocket science - buy more highly desirable land.

I certainly don't have all the answers - just my 2 cents.

I don't think [buy > value add > revalue > refinance > repeat] can work very well right now. I have an amazing valuation on one place from Feb 08, and even if I sink $50k into my property I'm not even 100% sure if I could get that same Feb 08 figure today let alone better than it.

And [buy > value add > sell > repeat] loses out too much with buying and selling costs unless you're damn good at it and perhaps do it yourself (which to me sounds like another whole job). AFAIK this is the stuff he is promoting (and his female Scottish mentor Anne/Annie?).

I agree with Stuart. I think just buying, make sure cashflows aren't too much of a rain and waiting for the next boom sounds like the best thing for me to do. Every now and then property does nothing for a few years and you just sit it out, no big deal. I knew this property game was slow and boring when I started it. Lucky I've got time on my side.

Maybe some great bang for buck value adds for increased yield if you really can't help yourself.

Here's the lowdown

Dunno what drugs i was on when I originally signed up for the seminar but i forgot who was presenting, so it was all a bit of a surprise. The day included:
John Mc Something (Sorry to be rude, I just didn't quite catch his name & it wasn't written anywhere) from Residex, Rick Otton (v. interesting for me, having heard about him for so many yrs but never seen him), Catherine from Decor In Style, which seems like a good interior design / renovation company and Rob Farmer, CEO of property managers Run Property.

Bill did the last 2.5hrs of the day and here's some of his thoughts. I stress that he wasn't saying that any of these "predictions" will be right. In fact, he hopes many of them are not. It's just an opinion. Here are some points from the presentation:

- 70% of overseas finance goes to residential property. let's hope those banks don't recall their $
- Australia is #7 country on the list of large negative current account balances with ($44 billion).
- Order of collapse in US = Housing, Finance, Business, Employment.
- Order of collapse in Oz = Finance, Business, Employment, Housing

- Should be 6-12mths before Housing here is seriously impacted. It all depends how Finance holds up. If serious falls don't happen, we'll probably get quite a few yrs of 2-3% growth (i.e. basically sideways).
- First half of 2009 still an OK time to sell (don't wait).
- "Entitlement Era" (boom) is started by loose credit and credit tightening is a sign of "production era" (that we are now entering). The production eras of 1890 - 1919 (29yrs) and 1929 - 1945 (16yrs) were ended by wars. Hopefully this one will not be(!) and hopefully won't be as long..
- Lenders offering >60% LVR on low-docs will not be doing it for long. Low-Docs will potentially disappear altogether by end of yr if prices fall or low-docs start to show quality problems
- refi lowdocs into full docs if you can

- Restrictions coming in on amount of redraw allowed on new loans. may be restricted to, say 20% of value. LOCs can be frozen (they are doing it to business first) so change yr LOC to an offset account.

- Full doc loans may be limited to 70% and rate premiums could potentially be introduced on investment loans (has come back in US).
- Bigger loans (>500k) may be difficult to finance, so safer not to look for higher value investment prop's.
- Non standard resi will get more difficult to fund (eg serviced apartments).
- Loans probably won't be recalled just due to decline in asset value but can be if you don't make a payment.
- You are in danger if you haven't separated yr investment & business risk. Property loans shouldn't be with same bank as yr business!
- Limit exposure to each lender
- Even if you have 85% LVR, if you have 4million + with a lender your file will probably be reviewed if equity drops.
- Keep your LOC facility at a separate bank
- = Not the time to Go Big!

- Review your finance position now! What's difficult to finance now may be impossible in 6 mths
- In times of deflation, you need to become a net lender by paying down mortgages. In times of inflation it's better to be a borrower.
- Keep your LVR to 60% if possible

When to Buy, Sell or Hold:
- HOLD if you would still hold if the property drops 50% & you can keep paying
- BUY if are paying down mortgages; if you can make $ with a clear & safe exit strategy
- SELL If you are using equity, are too highly geared on marginal income/cashflow, or if you are having some trouble now getting finance.

Obviously this doesn't make up for 2.5 hrs of stuff so it's always better going to the seminars if you can!

Dunno what drugs i was on when I originally signed up for the seminar but i forgot who was presenting, so it was all a bit of a surprise. The day included:
John Mc Something (Sorry to be rude, I just didn't quite catch his name & it wasn't written anywhere) from Residex, Rick Otton (v. interesting for me, having heard about him for so many yrs but never seen him), Catherine from Decor In Style, which seems like a good interior design / renovation company and Rob Farmer, CEO of property managers Run Property.

Bill did the last 2.5hrs of the day and here's some of his thoughts. I stress that he wasn't saying that any of these "predictions" will be right. In fact, he hopes many of them are not. It's just an opinion. Here are some points from the presentation:

- 70% of overseas finance goes to residential property. let's hope those banks don't recall their $
- Australia is #7 country on the list of large negative current account balances with ($44 billion).
- Order of collapse in US = Housing, Finance, Business, Employment.
- Order of collapse in Oz = Finance, Business, Employment, Housing

- Should be 6-12mths before Housing here is seriously impacted. It all depends how Finance holds up. If serious falls don't happen, we'll probably get quite a few yrs of 2-3% growth (i.e. basically sideways).
- First half of 2009 still an OK time to sell (don't wait).
- "Entitlement Era" (boom) is started by loose credit and credit tightening is a sign of "production era" (that we are now entering). The production eras of 1890 - 1919 (29yrs) and 1929 - 1945 (16yrs) were ended by wars. Hopefully this one will not be(!) and hopefully won't be as long..
- Lenders offering >60% LVR on low-docs will not be doing it for long. Low-Docs will potentially disappear altogether by end of yr if prices fall or low-docs start to show quality problems
- refi lowdocs into full docs if you can

- Restrictions coming in on amount of redraw allowed on new loans. may be restricted to, say 20% of value. LOCs can be frozen (they are doing it to business first) so change yr LOC to an offset account.

- Full doc loans may be limited to 70% and rate premiums could potentially be introduced on investment loans (has come back in US).
- Bigger loans (>500k) may be difficult to finance, so safer not to look for higher value investment prop's.
- Non standard resi will get more difficult to fund (eg serviced apartments).
- Loans probably won't be recalled just due to decline in asset value but can be if you don't make a payment.
- You are in danger if you haven't separated yr investment & business risk. Property loans shouldn't be with same bank as yr business!
- Limit exposure to each lender
- Even if you have 85% LVR, if you have 4million + with a lender your file will probably be reviewed if equity drops.
- Keep your LOC facility at a separate bank
- = Not the time to Go Big!

- Review your finance position now! What's difficult to finance now may be impossible in 6 mths
- In times of deflation, you need to become a net lender by paying down mortgages. In times of inflation it's better to be a borrower.
- Keep your LVR to 60% if possible

When to Buy, Sell or Hold:
- HOLD if you would still hold if the property drops 50% & you can keep paying
- BUY if are paying down mortgages; if you can make $ with a clear & safe exit strategy
- SELL If you are using equity, are too highly geared on marginal income/cashflow, or if you are having some trouble now getting finance.

Obviously this doesn't make up for 2.5 hrs of stuff so it's always better going to the seminars if you can!

Funny I think someone on this site has been saying the same thing for a year now. Something to do with the soft depression no?:rolleyes:

Back