Blinds

I am currently developing a 2x2 duplex with medium-high finishes. I want to add a blind that will finish the interior off and potentially provide me some additional rent. I will end up renting both of these units out so I don't want venetian or verticals (I think) because they get wrecked easily.

Could anyone provide any advice on what blind they would put in their medium/high finish units they are going to rent.

Possible choices:

Venetian
Vertical
Roller
Roman, or
Panel.

Thanks in advance.

I like simple white roller blinds if you are trying to save money. If you don't mind spending a little extra, check out honey comb blinds. They are elegant and beautiful.

We ordered all our blinds from Blinds Online. The prices were really reasonable compared to normal retail stores. The quality is very good too BUT they take a very long time to arrive if custom sizes.

I know this doesn't matter much for an investment property but my god some white roller blinds can look awful, particularly at night time. The ones I put in my house cost about 4k.

We recently got narrow verticals installed on a new IP but cut to size to fit within the window frame. Looked much smarter and more streamlined than the normal, larger, outside fit. Got them from blindsshoponline.com.au , cost was $542 for 4 cut to size and delivered. Very easy to install and quality seems very good.

I didn't reply as my preference is also shutters, and it sounds like you don't want to spend that sort of money, but seeing that you like the idea, why not look into a combination of looks plus security.

We have these on all bedrooms and a couple of windows (including a large french door) that we only close through the middle of winter. They are metal shutters, open inwards with a key, and are the only ones (Guardian is the brand) that we found that were strong enough to double as security. From memory individual window opening was about $700(ish) so they are not cheap, but I would get them again if we ever move and would consider them for an IP if we were going to spend money on security grill and window covering as these do the job of both.

Why not think about external roller shutters? Added security, low maintenance, don't need blinds.

If you then get keen, hang some light curtains.

Why not think about external roller shutters? Added security, low maintenance, don't need blinds.

If you then get keen, hang some light curtains.

Roller shutters and no blinds? I don't really like living in a cave. :confused:

I'd go for plantation or good quality venetians made to size to fit in the frame, or an opaque/full colour combo roller blind if the fit-out is leaning towards modern.

I didn't reply as my preference is also shutters, and it sounds like you don't want to spend that sort of money, but seeing that you like the idea, why not look into a combination of looks plus security.

We have these on all bedrooms and a couple of windows (including a large french door) that we only close through the middle of winter. They are metal shutters, open inwards with a key, and are the only ones (Guardian is the brand) that we found that were strong enough to double as security. From memory individual window opening was about $700(ish) so they are not cheap, but I would get them again if we ever move and would consider them for an IP if we were going to spend money on security grill and window covering as these do the job of both.

Thanks for that Wylie. Do you think these would be strong enough to act as security for a high window? We have one that is high off the ground and although there is no kids in the house I want to do something to prevent accidental falls. Do you think this would be a good substitute for metal bars?

Thanks for that Wylie. Do you think these would be strong enough to act as security for a high window? We have one that is high off the ground and although there is no kids in the house I want to do something to prevent accidental falls. Do you think this would be a good substitute for metal bars?

We removed security bars from all bedroom windows. I used to worry we would not be able to get out if there was a fire. I looked at several types of plantation shutters, some wood, some composite materials. None of them were secure enough and Guardian was the only company who did decent key locks that operate a bolt running top to bottom into the sills.

Guardian was the only company I found that were secure enough to satisfy me enough to leave the windows open most of the year and feel safe.

I recall something about them not being able to call them "security" due to some technicality, but there was a photo of one of the shutters in its frame leaning against some blocks on an angle, like a little ramp with a large 4WD driven onto the "ramp". The "fins" of the shutter had bent very slightly but it held up to the weight of the car on it.

I'm happy with that level of security :D.

Back