Blinds for our new PPOR - which ones...

Hi all

For our new PPOR that we are looking to build, I am wondering which blinds to go for.

Definitely don't want vertical blinds - will be too investment property like!

For big windows and doors in the family and dinning areas, I am wondering whether we should go for dual roller blinds, and in bedrooms and upper living go for timber look venetians (in white).

I hope timber look venetians don't look cheap.

What are your thoughts?

thanks
Monalisa

I admire plantation shutters esp on sliding doors that lead out onto a balcony . From the inside you have no idea wants on the outside. A sense of mystique is conjured.

I admire plantation shutters esp on sliding doors that lead out onto a balcony . From the inside you have no idea wants on the outside. A sense of mystique is conjured.

I love plantation shutters and will be doing them at the new PPOR but they are pretty exxy

Yes - that :) Don't want to over capitalise. This is just the first PPOR we are building. I am sure there will be more down the track.

Ok then for first PPOR I suggest you get the white 50mm timber blinds like you can get from Spotlight.

If you want some extra pizzazz then do the front windows in plantation - or just your master bedroom :)

Its a good idea to drive around new burbs and see "the look" that is created by different blinds etc.
Like the look of wide white shutters myself.

Double blinds are very popular too.

Is the outside rendered ? Colour of window frames ?
Some blinds make the windows look larger than they are.

How can you over capitalise on any sub-$100 expense?
Didn't you over capitalise already by building a large home on an expensive block?

Pennies vs pounds saying applies here?

I don't even get what the point of your post it. It doesn't add any value to what I am asking.

Ok then for first PPOR I suggest you get the white 50mm timber blinds like you can get from Spotlight.

If you want some extra pizzazz then do the front windows in plantation - or just your master bedroom :)

Thanks Westminster.

The company we get blinds from do timber look ones - I am guessing PVC.

Will check spot light out too.

Will see re plantation windows out at the front.

Plantation shutters are beautiful. We originally got them only for the main bedroom and the music room, and liked them so much that we ended up getting them for all but one window (fourth bedroom which is at the back of the house, and is the 'spare bedroom'). They are lovely - we got ours installed about 8 months ago I think, and we're still really happy with the decision to spend the money and get them.

We have just paid about $800 per window (double metal panels) and it is cheaper for one panel but ours double as security, key lockable, look like the timber and composite ones but are tough and keep the baddies out).

I love them and would do them again if we moved house.

We decided between Hollands and white timber shutters. In the end went with the shutters which in white suit the door jams / doors versus our inside now painted "buff it".

In the end We did front windows in timber shutters as well plus the computer room as the windows in there can be seen from front music / lounge room with the bay window.

So a bay window. 3 windows in our bedroom and two in computer room.

If you call the bay window 3 windows then 8 windows / panels for 3k we got done south of Perth for 3,000.00.

$375.00 per panel of shutter. ($750.00 per double window) It already had security shutters on the outside only to front of house. I only leave the security shutters down though in storms, as front faces the ocean (not view of it unfortunately but we seem to get the wind straight off it!) I reckon putting security shutters down when you go away on holidays is like an advertisement saying your not at home.

My wife is keen to do the rest of the house as well in the timber shutters but it's near 10k, leaving out bathrooms / toilets. That's expensive curtains...

Best thing about them is the control you then have over light. I guess to be fair to venetians they have the same effect but look a little dated these days.

Worst things: you loose some window as a frame goes inside your window. Not an issue for large bay windows etc but I would not put them in small ones.

Cleaning them is much easier than cleaning a Venetian but does show dust when you go to operate and wipe a little off so you end up cleaning them more often than other window furniture which you don't handle directly to operate.

Back