Book Review - Olly Newland “The Day The Bubble Bursts”

, Ok, the next Kiwi book I’ve read is Olly Newland – “The Day The Bubble Bursts”

(I’ve also just read Dolf’s book Extraordinary Profits from Ordinary Properties, but I won’t bother reviewing that one, it’s a list of 100 odd properties with purchase price, current valuation, return, pretty basic…whoops…is that a review ? rating 4/10 for Dolfs book) :(

Now this book is interesting if you like people who put their opinions & hearts in the open. This guy is one serious bear who is predicting a wholesale slaughter in some areas of the market. He writes about the investment clock & why he believes in it. With 40 years of RE investing experience behind him he has been through a few boom/bust cycles so there’s a bit of credibility to his thoughts.

His doom & gloom is not so much that, but more a warning for those less wary who haven’t seen or studied their history. He relates his experiences in the past including getting completely done over in his first foray into Australia. I must admit I like someone who can not just admit their mistakes, but can relate their learning from the mistake.

His main message appears to be:
• Booms are followed by slumps/crashes – doh ! :)
• The investment clock is real & it works – I’m going to overlay the S&P 500 index on his graph of Auckland prices just our of curiosity, I thought they operated on different timeframe) :confused:
• Slumps/crashes are where the bargains are found
• Have a survival plan for the inevitable slump
• Soft landings only happen in certain areas, others get trashed by up to 50%
• Ensure some money is in gold
• Avoid over marketed properties (apartment style stuff)
• Don’t follow the “guru’s”, but learn from what they do :eek:
• Be aware of which properties will get slaughtered first (he recommends certain sorts of commercial, or 3 bedroom brick in reasonable suburbs as the best ‘recession-proof’ RE investments)

His gold theory was interesting, he’s done well due to the relative increase in gold to the NZ dollar even though gold has stayed mainly between US $300-400 from early 80’s with a couple of exceptions. But it was more an ability to put it in a deposit box & hide it from anyone who’s after your money while it retains a fairly constant value. He’s very strong on asset & personal wealth protection.

He relates a few stories of misfortune (his & others) regarding the hysteria at the peak of a boom, & advises to have loans split amongst banks. In fact he’s quite anti-bank based on what he’s seen in the past. I didn’t like the selective use of newspaper articles (on the apartment oversupply in Auckland & Australia, etc) but that’s a personal thing as I believe you can find a newspaper article to support any point of view at any point in time.

There’s a chapter on ‘leaky homes’ which is a problem quite a few NZ homes have had in the last 10 yrs due to different construction styles & materials, compounded by the odd dodgy builder. Although he advises how to profit from this situation as well
Summary:
A good read, again a very easy book to read quickly. Nice to get a perspective from a current bear. He writes as a ‘loveable rogue’ style i.e. stories if where he’s done a very good deal for himself, a couple of chapters are titled “Pest Control” & have nothing to so with termites. Based on his book the current slump will be about 7 yrs long, but if you do the work you can do quite nicely out of it. Good advice on what sorts of properties to avoid in the current market & why (although he recommends when to buy some of these properties i.e. if you buy a ‘leaky home’ budget double the cost of recladding & buy primarily for the land position & value. I disagree with some of his opinions, but as I write this the more I like it & will put it on my ‘to re-read’ shelf.
If you’re a newbie & wonder what the heck’s happened in the last few years this book is a must read. If you’re an experienced investor or you’ve done your homework, there are still some good strategies in here.

Rating: 7/10

Cheers
Mark

see_change said:
LW , I Think you'll find any one associated with RK is subject to negative comment from John Treed.

Interestingly , the only reason I've ever heard of John Treed is because of his attacks on other people. :)

See Change

SC,

'Attacks' is a very strong word and probably inappropriate. He gives valid and practical reasons for discounting DrRoos (and other gurus) book, especially in the way he piocks it apart piece by piece. I can see nothing equivalent to a an 'attack'.

But i think RK is half useful and half joke, depending on what level of investor one is at time of reading.

likewow said:
SC,

'Attacks' is a very strong word and probably inappropriate. He gives valid and practical reasons for discounting DrRoos (and other gurus) book, especially in the way he piocks it apart piece by piece. I can see nothing equivalent to a an 'attack'.

But i think RK is half useful and half joke, depending on what level of investor one is at time of reading.
Not sure I agree, likewow. He does attack De Roos, both personally (for crimes like associating himself with RK) and in terms of what he says. As it happens, some of his attacks are factually wrong or are answered with irrelevancies.

I personally got value out of both de Roos and RK earlier in my investing career. I haven't been able to apply any of JTR's stuff to my market. One of the best bits is where he criticises de Roos for publishing not a book, but a thinly disguised advertising brochure and in the course of slagging him off, advertises a swag of his own stuff!

agent 86 said:
Quiggles,

You bit. :)
Just thought it was about time JTR got some of his own medicine. After all, he quotes with approval his mother, who on reading some of his stuff said "What are you, the Don Rickles of real estate?".

Quiggles,

Can you give me some examples of the 'attack'?

And agent, it wasnt a bait post for Quiggles to bite at. It was and is my genuine opnion.

likewow said:
Quiggles,

Can you give me some examples of the 'attack'?

And agent, it wasnt a bait post for Quiggles to bite at. It was and is my genuine opnion.
Nor did I take it as a troll.

Examples:

• I suspect the real reason de Roos is saying to invest in multiple countries is to make himself sound like a jet setting international tycoon.

De Roos has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, but manages to sound like a college dropout from a non-selective liberal arts program.

My initial reaction to hearing about de Roos was that anyone who would associate himself with a liar [RK] should not be trusted himself.

There's quite a bit more, but this is as ad hominem as you could possibly want to get.

Don't get me wrong - many of the criticisms are quite valid. But it's all so OTT and wrapped up in accusations that sorting out the wheat from the chaff is a real effort.

I call it attack.

If you can play the ball, why play the man? If you have to play the man to disrupt the ball, forget it.

And finally, if you play the man for an alleged infraction and then commit the same infraction you are not even equal, you are less than the one you attacked.

Just my opinion? No, just fact. You are condemned by your own words and your own actions.

quiggles said:
I call it attack.

If you can play the ball, why play the man? If you have to play the man to disrupt the ball, forget it.

And finally, if you play the man for an alleged infraction and then commit the same infraction you are not even equal, you are less than the one you attacked.

Just my opinion? No, just fact. You are condemned by your own words and your own actions.

He plays the ball and the man. I dont think your analogy stands up but regardless I think DeRoos is a joke and the inane stuff he writes would be impressive to novice investors only (not suggesting you are). As you are aware long term successful investing is built on a foundation of strong proven fundamentals not fluff and cliches.

Thats my opinion and you have yours so we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I have just finished reading this book. I liked it quite a lot. To my mind he made a lot of sense. I didn't like his attitude to tenants "Tenants in houses are usually of a slightly higher calibre than those infesting cheap flats. You may need a microscope to spot the difference, but there is one I assure you." Page 20 paragraph 2.

I liked his attitude to protecting your home. I am not that keen to place the family home at risk for investments. For me investments are about improving your life not risking what you have.

All in all I believe that this book is well worth a read.

All in all I believe that this book is well worth a read.
And I'd second that Punchy. I took a number of good ideas from Dolf DR.

And, Likewow, JTR pooh-poohs DDR based on what must be US law - but JTR seems to conveniently forget that the figures DDR quotes are, in fact, quite plausible (and legal) in Australia (and perhaps NZ?) - I'm referring to the "depreciation" quote by JTR here.

Combine that with the fact that a number of deals discussed in "Real Estate Riches" ARE based in NZ, and the picture becomes clearer....

I've noticed that JTR has been quite "one-eyed" in the past, and it doesn't seem to have changed much. And that's my opinion...

Edited later: My apologies, MarkR - I've just realised I've contributed toward taking a subject "off-topic". I've also read one of Olly Newland's books, though not the latest... As it happens, the very first house I bought was from Olly back in 1973. I don't know how "big" he was then, but I got the impression at the time that he was well-known in property circles even then.... I do thank him for giving me a start, when other "normal" options were closed to me.

Thanks for your review. I need to catch up on Olly Newland obviously. I know he runs seminars (in NZ at least). I wonder if he ever makes it over the ditch?? I'd endeavour to see him if that happened (Sydney, Brisbane....)

Regards,

Back