Boom & Doom reporting - The Journalist perspective

An interesting read.

They attempt to answer the question why Journalist focus on the BOOM & DOOM type of reporting surrounding property.

Australian Centre for Independent Journalism.

Speakers:

Monique Wakelin, Property investment adviser;
Prof. Mike Berry (RMIT, Director of Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute)
Hugo Kelly, Journalist, media adviser, Chief of staff “Crikey.com”

http://www.acij.uts.edu.au/forums/2002forum2.html

Brinkdude

ACEY D.

Yes, I thought exactly the same as you when I read that and these are long term "permanent" renters.

I thought it was interesting the angle of advertising revenue driving the debate. I can just imagine an Editor suggesting to a reporter that it would be good to do an article on property and then the Advertising Section drumming up some adverts to place near by.!

Brinkdude

I'm sure there is something very interesrting to read in that thread.
But i would need to take my annual leave and long service together to get through it. Leave it with me

Originally posted by Brinkdude
ACEY D.

Yes, I thought exactly the same as you when I read that and these are long term "permanent" renters.

I thought it was interesting the angle of advertising revenue driving the debate. I can just imagine an Editor suggesting to a reporter that it would be good to do an article on property and then the Advertising Section drumming up some adverts to place near by.!

Brinkdude

Quite often it goes the other way - a salesguy goes to the editor "I've found this great lead... you do a story and I'll reel them in"

Jas

Speaking from 15 years of experience, I can assure you that sometimes ads can get dressed up as editorial.

I'm also quite certain that, for this very reason, no sales rep or manager I've ever known would know a decent yarn if it smacked 'em right between the eyes. The only concern they have is to make sure the dollars keep pouring in. That's why they're in sales and journos aren't.

However, it pays not to become too cynical. Do the research and make up your own mind. I never take anything I read purely on face value.

- Pat

Disclaimer: This post has neither been spell or grammar checked.

Back