Hi all,

Long time viewer first time poster.

Can I get your thoughts on my borrowing capacity given the following

Annual Income 57k before tax
Rental income of approx 12k per year

No credit cards

Living expenses of 250 a week.

Thanks in advance.

the rental income will come from a friend who has already agreed to rent a room off me for this amount should I purchase the property i have in mind. I understand that given this is propspective income that it may alter borrowing capacity although was just after an indication.

And yes i understand that there is more to borrowing money than purely borrowing power, although i believe that this was going to be my main hinderence to the process....i have been saving for 4 year and now i may finally be in a position to make my home purchase, pretty exciting stuff!

Well good luck with it. Make sure you consult a broker before making any offer on a property to make sure you can actually afford it.

I take it your applying as an FHO? if so this might clash with your " rental " and the grant may be pro-rated based on usage.

Also borrowing capacity is not as simple as looking at your income and credit card limit, another important factors to look out for.

Since your in VIC, why not give Arron_C a call or email and he be able to give you a accurate figures and advice.

Regards
Michael

Hi all,

Long time viewer first time poster.

Can I get your thoughts on my borrowing capacity given the following

Annual Income 57k before tax
Rental income of approx 12k per year

No credit cards

Living expenses of 250 a week.

Thanks in advance.

the rental income will come from a friend who has already agreed to rent a room off me for this amount should I purchase the property i have in mind. I understand that given this is propspective income that it may alter borrowing capacity although was just after an indication.

Hi dmv,

You should be aware that whilst your friend renting a room may help you afford the property, if you intend to live in the property yourself (possibly claiming the $7000 grant), lenders won't take into account the rent your friend is paying. This in turn would reduce your borrowing capacity.

If you're going to rent the property fully tenanted and live somewhere else, you'll need to declare what your costs of housing are (either an existing mortgage, rent you're paying yourself, or even a 'renting allowance' if you're living with family). Again this will impact your ability to borrow money.

The information you've disclosed so far doesn't go into enough detail for you to get specific recomendations on your ability to borrow at this point. You should definately contact a broker prior to signing a purchase contract.

The reason I suggest a broker (over going direct to a lender), is different lenders have different policies regarding the parameters above. A good broker will be able to help you navigate straight to the right lender for your circumstances.

Yes the fact that you are going to live in it with a friend complicates things for you. But it's not something that can't be overcome.

hi,

I save $2,500 a month (im only 22 so this is a lot of cash to me). This leaves me with enough cash to cover all my expenses (i.e. fuel, public transport, phone etc) plus around $120 spending month a week which is sufficient.

Obviously this does not have regard to any rental income which i will receive once i eventually purchase a place.

Any thoughts?

The lender doesn't look at your saving pattern, you could tell them you live at home rent free and only spend max $20 a day for the last 6 years...it won't make a diff....
They are only concern with
1. Deposit
2. SOLID income

Regards
Michael

hi,

I save $2,500 a month (im only 22 so this is a lot of cash to me). This leaves me with enough cash to cover all my expenses (i.e. fuel, public transport, phone etc) plus around $120 spending month a week which is sufficient.

Obviously this does not have regard to any rental income which i will receive once i eventually purchase a place.

Any thoughts?

As a few others have said- if you live in the property, unfortunately they won't count the "rent" your friend pays. Even if you have a tenancy agreement, etc, etc.

Back