Borrowing Costs

Hi all,

I have just sold an investment property I bought about 18 months ago. We did very well out of it and wanted to use the funds for another project we are progressing with.

We have claimed about 1/5 or so of borrowing costs (Mostly LMI) in the rental schedules so far for FY13 tax return, as permissible.

Now we are selling the property, must we include the 4/5 balance of borrowing costs in the Cost Base, or can we claim it as part of the rental schedule?

I think I know the answer already (Cost Base), but the reason I ask is because if we claim it as part of the rental schedule, we don't lose half of the benefit with the 50% discount rule.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I have just sold an investment property I bought about 18 months ago. We did very well out of it and wanted to use the funds for another project we are progressing with.

We have claimed about 1/5 or so of borrowing costs (Mostly LMI) in the rental schedules so far for FY13 tax return, as permissible.

Now we are selling the property, must we include the 4/5 balance of borrowing costs in the Cost Base, or can we claim it as part of the rental schedule?

I think I know the answer already (Cost Base), but the reason I ask is because if we claim it as part of the rental schedule, we don't lose half of the benefit with the 50% discount rule.

Thanks in advance

It would be claimable against income - 5 years or term of the loan if shorter.

Are these considered as borrowing costs?
- stamp duty
- lender's mortgage insurance
- Solicitor costs
- loan establishment fees
- title search fees (charged by lender)
- mortgage broker fees
- valuation costs

Did I miss anything else?

Last edited:
I can't see anything in there about mortgage discharge fees either. Assume that would be similar fee would it not? Technically its a borrowing costs.

Are these considered as borrowing costs?
- stamp duty
- lender's mortgage insurance
- Solicitor costs
- loan establishment fees
- title search fees (charged by lender)
- mortgage broker fees
- valuation costs

Did I miss anything else?

Just to clarify.

Solicitor costs for prep of loan docs maybe a borrowing expense, but not costs relating to the conveyancing.

stamp duty on the loan but not the transfer would be deductible.

Just to clarify.

Solicitor costs for prep of loan docs maybe a borrowing expense, but not costs relating to the conveyancing.

stamp duty on the loan but not the transfer would be deductible.
Thanks... That makes sense.

Here is the list from that ATO site.

What can you claim?
You can claim all of the following:
  • stamp duty charged on the mortgage
  • loan establishment fees
  • title search fees charged by your lender
  • costs (including solicitors' fees) for preparing and filing mortgage documents
  • mortgage broker fees
  • fees for a valuation required for loan approval
  • lender's mortgage insurance, which is insurance taken out by the lender and billed to you.

Back