Bowen marina + whitsunday shores

Hi everyone,
Have just put down a deposit on a vacant lot pretty much right on the water at whitsunday shores. I know you probably think that i may have purchase too late , however due to the location of the property and size (potential for duplex maybe) i am of the mind that it should realise a decent rate of growth in the future. It is purely for an investment and not PPOR. Also what with the mining expansion and marina developement hopefully will be ok. Have also placed my expression of interest for a unit and perhaps a marina berth at the new Bowen Marina complex which is yet to be started.
I am only a small investor at the moment with one rental property in the blue mountains, however would like to step up slowly to more properties.
Anybody have any opinions -pro or con to this area as an investment.
Cheers,
Geoff

I get up there every few weeks or so.

The marketing for the Marina was that it was going to be the next Florida, if I remember it right.

Bowen is nice town, not sure how much Mining is going to have? That depends on the price of coal etc. However the newest mine to Open is not going to flood Bowen with heap more new families.

The biggest draw back for Bowen I think is a decent Airport, maybe if it had one and there was regular flights south. That would open it up a lot more. But still seems to me like a small country town, not a lot going for it at the moment.
Not forgetting that also there is a new Marina opening in Airlie.

How many can you have? A lot of yachties and also the wealthy will go to Airlie or Mackay. In Mackay a lot of the boats in the Marina are owned by PPL in Melbourne, Sydney etc. Direct flights help.

Cant see someone flying to Proserpine and the driving a hour or so. When they can go to Mackay and be at the Marina in 15 to 20 Minutes.

This is only my opinion so ppl please fire away at me

The thing with the Whitsundays and big boat sailors is that Bob Oatley owns Hamilton Isalnd, he's into boats (Wild Oats wins the Sydney to Hobart) and there is a fabulous winter racing series up there that a lot of Sydney people attend. Any marina that can cater to that event will probably make good money.

Back