Break fees - are they tax deductible ?

We currently have 2 loans fixed into higher interest rates. Not due out till December 2014 and May 2014. Are the fees to break these fixed loans tax deductible as I am seriously thinking about it.

We have an appointment first thing tomorrow with our bank manager about a different matter. I have emailed our accountant late today but would like to start working on some figures tonight if this could be a possibility.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Thank you.

Just realised I should have used google :rolleyes:
That's what happens when you are multi tasking - cooking dinner, helping with homework and trying to do business 'stuff' :p - never crossed my mind to google LOL :D

We currently have 2 loans fixed into higher interest rates. Not due out till December 2014 and May 2014. Are the fees to break these fixed loans tax deductible as I am seriously thinking about it.

if they are for investment use, then generally yes, and in the year they are incurred.

ta

rolf

Yes both investment properties.

I'm a bit cranky tonight. Phoned the banks help centre to enquire on exact costs to break so I know what we are dealing with tomorrow. Only to find out that I have been given totally the wrong dates from our manager of when these are due to change from fixed. I WAS correct with the dates I had recorded after all. So glad I called - I will be looking for some answers tomorrow that's for sure :(

Not to mention that the offset account isn't tied into the correct loan - and has been that way for 2 years ! My fault for not checking the statements closely enough. I'm still annoyed though.

Yes both investment properties.

I'm a bit cranky tonight. Phoned the banks help centre to enquire on exact costs to break so I know what we are dealing with tomorrow. Only to find out that I have been given totally the wrong dates from our manager of when these are due to change from fixed. I WAS correct with the dates I had recorded after all. So glad I called - I will be looking for some answers tomorrow that's for sure :(

Not to mention that the offset account isn't tied into the correct loan - and has been that way for 2 years ! My fault for not checking the statements closely enough. I'm still annoyed though.

make sure you request compensation for the offset muck up

Breaking a fixed rate loan should be tax deductible in the year it happens (if the loan was for investment purposes). Weigh up whether it is worth it to break.

Back