Brian cox - an evening of scientific phenomena

Not my kind of thing and wouldn't have been if I was his age but my 15 year old has a keen interest in physics and has watched a number of TV shows with Brian Cox

He's organised tickets and I am just the chauffeur

Brian Cox is a phenomenon.

He is the UK's, and perhaps the world's, foremost communicator of all things scientific. His TV programs are ground breaking – he has the innate ability to make highly complex matters enormously entertaining and easy to contemplate. He's the former rock star of the hit band D:Ream, who scored a UK No. 1 in 1994 with the song Things Can Only Get Better.

His live events are a wonderment of an entire new genre - his experiments, audience interactivity, stunning visuals and totally engaging manner leaves audiences enraptured, engaged, informed and perhaps besotted by him.

He is the real deal. Brian Cox, OBE, is a British particle physicist, a Royal Society University Research fellow. He works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, Switzerland and is a Professor at the University of Manchester. He is best known as the presenter of a number of TV programs for the BBC.

Brian Cox is the author of Wonders of the Solar System, Wonders of the Universe & Wonders of Life (Harper Collins), Why Does E=mc2 (Da Capo) and Quantum Universe (Penguin).

At least I knew the song, which my son didn't :D

Redwing, you should be proud of your son. It's a rare thing to see kids his age showing an interest in the sciences. This kid will go far!

Digressing, the UK seems to be a haven for Physicists turned musicians. Brian May, of Queen, comes to mind. Went on top do his PhD and is now a respected academic as well as a highly talented musicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May

^ Haha, I just started watching the 60 Minutes story online (as I missed it last night) and Ray Martin introduces Cox with those exact words.

Must be popular as the Perth event was sold out

I'd never heard of him before but my son has apparently watched a few of his science programmes and was keen to go see him, his seat was 4 rows from the stage and he thoroughly enjoyed it

Excellent. Check out the four part series Wonders of the Universe when you get a chance. It's a fascinating series. No wonder he's become such a popular guy - his narration somehow makes science understandable and interesting for people (such as me) who before didn't really have any interest in it.

I'm a fan of Brian Cox.

I always find it amusing when he and Dr Brian May (PhD, Astrophysics) are on the same show together.

I know Cox is a rock star in the world of science - and he was a music star as well..

But I always feel a slight deference on his part to Brian May who, lets be honest, shone considerably brighter for a lot longer than Cox ever did in the world of music.

That's great your son like science. My hubby and I are fans and I'm glad we bought the big TV to watch his documentaries. He is inspiring!

Back