Brick v Hebal

Hi All

I am in the early stages of a new 3 townhouse development , and have the choice of using Bricks or Hebal panels for their construction.

It works out at the same cost for either , and I am just wondering if anyone has opinions on which would be better from a re sale point of view

Any thoughts welcome.

id go brick but only because if a builder was charging you equal hes making a killing on hebal...............umm foam core is not exactly expensive.

hebal is good but overpriced in value in my opinion.

my cousin just built his own home from hebal, did a course etc..hes a builder...he loved working with the stuff because of the ease of use. labor saving and less dramas on the body

give me a good brick any day...

rendering etc sooner or later will go out of fashion again..with brick at least you have options down the track when render comes back in, in around 20-25 yrs...

at least your builder isnt using blue board as a render base.

go the brick if hes charging the same price...

hebal quieter inside the home however...

confused still??? 50-50 bet i guess but im an old brick bloke

I would go brick as a personal pref.

When you say its the same cost do you mean for purchasing materials or purchase and build?

I can see material cost being the same but would have though Hebal panels would be cheaper and quicker to build with?

Not sure if there are any environmental concerns to consider?

I would go for brick simply because everyone knows what it is.
Friends built with Hebel and were very happy with the results.
Marg

Thanks for the replies

I tend to be leaning toward brick (though it will be rendered anyway so it will only be rough brick)

The other thing about hebal is thet it is not as thick as brick (excuse the pun) , so it means the rooms inside will be slightly larger.

My thought is that regardless of how good hebal is , brick has been around for years and years , and my thought is that everyone trusts it.

Ahh what to do.............

It is the same end result cost

Brick methinks is a no brainer. Been to a few building sites where Hebel has been used. It's only foam after all. I guess with brick veneer the bricks themselves aren't doing too much structurally. Quite suprised brick and hebel are the same price. Hebel weighs practically nothing.

Imagine if some mad fool came around to your house and wanted to break in. Think I'd rather be sitting on the other side of a brick wall. :)

Brick methinks is a no brainer. Been to a few building sites where Hebel has been used. It's only foam after all.

You are way way incorrect.

Hebel in Airated autoclave concrete panel.

It is made out of concrete not foam.

An oxide is put into the concrete mixture which creates air bubbles, making it light. It has steel reinforcing in the centre of it.

You may be confusing hebel with rendered foam.

The Italians/Greeks don't like the hebal...."Solida Brick"
If the prices are identical go the brick.

Last edited:
You are way way incorrect.

Hebel in Airated autoclave concrete panel.

It is made out of concrete not foam.

An oxide is put into the concrete mixture which creates air bubbles, making it light. It has steel reinforcing in the centre of it.

You may be confusing hebel with rendered foam.

Quote from Hebel site:

It is manufactured from sand, cement, recycled material, lime, gypsum and an aerating agent, aluminium paste.

Technically you are correct but have you ever lifted one?

One finger easy to move the stuff....foam is close enough for me as a description...

Back