Brighton Le Sands? or Parramatta?

Hey Guys,

I am nearly ready to buy my first property looking for mainly rental returns and hopefully capital growth...
My friend has just bought in Brighton Le Sands in Sydney, I think she bought something for about 430 and I have found some decent places for up to 500...
What are you thoughts on this area?

I know out west i.e. Parramatta, Granville and Merrylands is expanding and would be a better investment I suppose, just wanted to know what your thoughts were on brighton le sands?

Thankyou! )

I'm also considering Parramatta for my next investment property (2 bedroom unit most likely). However my concern is a possible over supply in the area over the coming years.

I'm sure some of the more experienced folk on here will be able to chime in with more info though, I'm interested to hear their thoughts.

If you're considering BLS have you considered kogarah, rockdale or even hurstville?
I think those areas are more rentable than BLS.
Until the very recent oversupply of rentals, Parramatta was more rentable than BLS. Not sure about now.

With the price range you have said I assume you are looking at units.

There has been a lot of development in Parramatta (and surrounds - Harris Park etc).

Some questions that might help you make a decision are:
- do people want to live in units? what is the demographic?
- what will be the holding costs and what can I afford?
- what is the infrastructure like in the areas? population increasing or decreasing?
- what is the vacancy rate in both areas?

Gee, they are two very different areas you are looking at.
I like BLS, but from a tenant's point of view there is no train. The other areas mentioned have train stations.
Scott

Bondi Beach and coogee don't have trains either, but they're popular.
I don't know much about BLS for rentals. I hadn't considered it as it doesn't have much in the way of public transport, and doesn't seem that rentable compared to other suburbs mentioned in this thread.
For the same money, I'd rather go with other suburbs I mentioned before.
BTW, there are buses from kogarah or rockdale train station to BLS (forgot which station exactly). The buses are not bad. BLS is also about a 30 min easy walk from the station.

BLS is the poor man's 'eastern' suburbs. CG will be more in BLS than in Parra I reckon. Parra is affordability and BLS is lifestyle. In hard times, Parra will be the winner when it comes to renting.

Agree with techie, I'd vote for BLS in terms of CG over Parra. BLS is a pretty nice area to live, so i'd imagine it'd be very rentable in good and bad times (despite no train station).

+1 BLS. If you can get into Dolls Pt thats my fav area round there. Nice and quiet.

Dolls Pt isn't quiet on weekends, it's crowded.

The Brighton debate all depends on whether or not Rockdale Council end up building the marina at Brighton Pier or not. After some initial noise about it back in 2008, it came out as part of the 2009-18 city plan but I haven't heard boo since.

http://www.rockdale.nsw.gov.au/Pages/pdf/AboutCouncil/Community_Strategic_Plan_2009_2018.pdf

I love Dolls Point! Would love to be able to afford to live there :)
Nicer then BLS

You wont make mistake if you buy either of those 2

Hi

If I was looking for an IP around that part of the St George area I would consider Allawah or Carlton for a 2 bedroom unit. There is an excellent train line about 20 minutes or so to the CBD. I would steer clear of Hurstville as there is significant building going on around there.

Out of BLS, San Souci and Doll's Point I would lean towards Doll's Point, I nearly bought a beaut unit there a few years ago but thought it was a bit too much at auction ($425,000 or so). A bargain now! Dolls Point is not as close to transport as BLS but I think there is a bus to Kogarah.

Rockdale - used to be a nice little suburb but lots of units there and the area ain't what she used to be with strip shopping that has been gasping for years.

2 bedroom unit as IP - Allawah or Carlton for me. However, the market has been very hot in the St George area recently.

Disclosure: I grew up in the StG areas and still live there (not in the above suburbs)

Best regards

Back