Brunswick, Abbosford Vic.....

Hi,

Next IP...... I have been looking at buying a 2BR house in Brunswick (incl East and West) or Abbotsford (and surrounding). Does anyone have any feedback on the areas - or the good and not so good parts of the suburbs??

Thanks.

Go and have a look around, i'm looking at buying in Frankston at the moment and i've been down over 10 times. At night, day..... walk the streets go into the shops. Get a feel for the place yourself.

Hi Lilli, I have two IP's in coburg, at the former Pentridge Prison site (Pentridge Piazza
not Pentridge Village). I'm near Murry Road near the Park which is very pleasent.

I've been reasonably lucky with tenants over the last 4-5 years. The Landmark
institution and creation of a new region in a old (and ramshakled) suburb appealing.

SS

Go and have a look around, i'm looking at buying in Frankston at the moment and i've been down over 10 times. At night, day..... walk the streets go into the shops. Get a feel for the place yourself.

Have late Friday & Saturday nights changed over the years? :D

Hi,

Next IP...... I have been looking at buying a 2BR house in Brunswick (incl East and West) or Abbotsford (and surrounding). Does anyone have any feedback on the areas - or the good and not so good parts of the suburbs??

Thanks.

For Abbotsford and surrounding is pretty much that & Collingwood (Go Pies :)). Then you have Richmond (Cremorne, Burnely) and then futher north, Fiztroy (North) and Carlton which are all very different suburbs.

I know Abbotsford quite well because my grandparents used to live there and have always taken an interest as it has become gentrified and have it as a watch area for myself. Many of the homes that the immigrants moved in at the time (1950's onwards) were condemned cottages. So many were properties were starting off a low base.

As for the type of property IMHO that would be worthwhile looking at are Victorian (most of the older homes are of that vintage) with traditional features still intact. That is fireplaces, original windows, and maybe boards. You will find that the immigrants in the post war era who moved in, stripped out some of these features (my grandfather is guilty on those counts :(). Rear lane way (ROW access) is also vital, beacuse the streets are narrow and car parking is at a premium.

Of course you are well serviced by bus (along Hoddle Street, its the 246, then you have the 203 which comes from Bulleen and goes up Johnson St through to Fitzroy, carlton and into the city) and through and train (closest station is probably going to be Collingwood and there is Vic Park station next to Victoria Park (Go Pies again). Its the Eppping Line.

There are a few warehouse conversions into townhouses from the late 80's, early 90's, but not as good as the true warehouse conversions in Collingwood. And of course your typical contemporary townhouses where they have bulldozed the old homes and started from scratch.

In terms of location, stay away from Nicholson St (busy and is opposite industrial properties). Otherwise, the rest of Abbotsford is pretty good. Properties on the south side of Nicholson Street which go to the Yarra River are nice and maybe even a touch more expensive.

Not sure of your price point, but there are a couple that I have been tracking (not interested in buying though), that have been on the market for a while, so I can point them out if you wish.

I grew up in Abbotsford, one of the gentrificationers reffered to. There are quite a few pockets in between factories that will be good capital growth potential as factories close and move to outer areas where transport infrastructure is better. Buy an old victorian home, it may well not have parking, as many do not. Try and stay away from major roads, but one street back is pretty good for the area (almost all of abbotsford is one street back). I wouldnt be too worried about proximity to industry for the reasons already said. They will all get converted to warehouse apartments in the fullness of time.

I also like east brunswick, its a bigger better known suburb than Abbotsford, and further from the city. Go for period victorian or edwardian houses, again on site parking might not be available.

Had a 2BR apartment in Abbotsford near the brewery - was rarely vacant, and eventually sold it to the tenants.

Good transport infrastructure. Had one break in, but that could just have been bad luck. Otherwise, felt pretty safe whenever I was there - even at night.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks everyone for the comments. My good friend lives in Abbotford and my husband used to live in North Fitzroy, so I have some feel for the area.

Buzzlightyear.... yes, I would love to know which properties you have been following in the area. Feel free to private message me if you'd prefer.

Thanks.

The other day I had a drive around Brunswick again and I am now think that Abbotsford is a better area to invest....

Back