Buffett to give away billions to charity

Buffett to give away billions to charity

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060625/19/zjcb.html

NEW YORK (AFP) - Warren Buffett, the world's second richest man, has announced plans to give away an estimated 85 percent of his estimated 44-billion-dollar wealth to charity.

Most of the donations will, ironically, go to a foundation run by Bill Gates, the wealthiest man on the planet.

The investment guru said in a statement that on Monday he would act on letters sent to Gates and other foundations "that contain irrevocable pledges" to start transferring shares in his Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate to them from July.

He explained the motivation for his gesture in an interview with Fortune magazine, which said the handouts would amount to about 85 percent of his wealth.

"I know what I want to do," he was quoted as saying, "and it makes sense to get going."

Buffett, 75, said there were no immediate concerns about his health and that he is still "having fun" working in high finance.

"I feel terrific and when I had my last physical, in October, my doctor gave me a clean bill of health," he said.

But he did make a link to the death of his wife, Susan Buffett, in July 2004.

The two had been living apart but remained close and Buffett said: "She and I always assumed that she would inherit my Berkshire stock and be the one who oversaw the distribution of our wealth to society."

Buffett made his billions from astute investments that turned him into a world-acclaimed operator.

The son of a stockbroker and member of Congress, Buffett reportedly bought his first shares on the stock market at the age of 11. Virtually all of the money is concentrated in Berkshire Hathaway, which has interests ranging from insurance to property, energy and jet leasing.

The shares will go to five foundations. But more than 83 percent of the stock will go to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation which already has a kitty of about 30 billion dollars used to pay for medical research and give educational grants.

"We are awed by our friend Warren Buffett's decision to use his fortune to address the world's most challenging inequities," Bill and Melinda Gates said in a statement.

"The impact of Warren's generosity will not be fully understood for decades. As we move forward with the work, we do so with a profound sense of responsibility. Working with Warren and with our partners around the world, we have a tremendous opportunity to make a positive difference in people's lives," they said.

Fortune magazine estimated earlier this year that Buffett has about 44 billion dollars. It said Gates is now worth about 50 billion dollars.

According to Fortune, Buffett plans to eventually become a trustee of the Gates foundation. Bill Gates this month announced plans to withdraw from day-to-day control of Microsoft by July 2008 to concentrate on the foundation.

Buffett said in his statement that the value of the first gift to the Gates foundation would enable it to increase spending by about 1.5 billion dollars.

"I greatly admire what the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMG) is accomplishing and want to materially expand its future capabilities," he said.

"In the future I expect the value of my annual gifts to trend higher in an irregular but eventually substantial manner," he added.

Shares will also be given to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, Susan A. Buffett Foundation and NoVo Foundation (Peter A. Buffett) run in the name of his late wife and by other members of his family.

Buffett said he would set aside 10 million shares of class B common stock for the foundation, and award five percent of the balance of those shares once a year. On Friday, a Berkshire Hathaway class B share was worth 3,071 dollars on the New York Stock Exchange.

Buffett's wife died of a stroke at the age of 72. Buffett said that his wife had always wanted to give away their money faster.

"I always had the idea that philanthropy was important today but would be equally important in one year, 10 years, 20 years and the future generally."

Buffett's donation tops those by the great philanthropists of the past; Carnegie family givings hit 380 million dollars or 7.6 billion in today's dollars, according to The Washington Post.

Attachments

• 756421311.jpg
    756421311.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 47
What l cant understand is that the Gates foundation is sitting on so much money and they supposedly give to 3rd world countries especially medical needs, then why is it that we never seem to see any improvement in these areas?
Mr Buffett is a generous man,at least handing it out now he may see if it is put to good use.
Sure hope so as its a lot of $$$$$
Wonder if this will make the price of shares in his company fall?
cheers yadreamin

The gates foundation:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default

While what they are doing is very good:

1. A part of what they are doing is raising the awareness of Microsoft products

2. They earn far more than any person could possibly expect to ever be able to spend. Ever. How many pairs of shoes or bottles of wine could anybody ever hope to buy in a lifetime of shopping sprees, with that sort of money?

immelda marcos could handle the shoe side of things perhaps geoff?

i met a client the other day, he actually said to me "i could start spending today, every day, and still couldnt spend it all before i died". and here i was keeping his fee the same as last years, sickening!!
he's a builder in perth !! :)

WB gave most of his money to the Gates Foundation

It has been announced that Warren Buffet has given the bulk of his money (shares) to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. While some (or maybe most people) may ridicule this decision, I admire WB for this. He is not only an astute investor, but also an astute giver (IMHO). I am with him in that it is better to give away the money now instead of after his death - hopefully he can see where it is going to and how the money is being used.

As I understand it, WB will convert his A shares to B shares and give these shares to the charitable foundations named. So, presumably they will be able to use the dividends from the shares in their work, or sell the shares when they need the money?

Duncan

They do install computers in a lot of places- libraries for instance. While that's a good thing for many people without computer or internet access, I'd be guessing they're not apple computers, and not running Firefox.

yadreamin said:
What l cant understand is that the Gates foundation is sitting on so much money and they supposedly give to 3rd world countries especially medical needs, then why is it that we never seem to see any improvement in these areas?

Gee you have a high opinion of Bill Gates yadreamin!

Western governments have been ploughing great sums of money into the third world for sixty years with limited if any success.

The Gates foundation has been going for six years, is investing in long-term issues and you're expecting major changes already!!

Perhaps you should look at how the foundation allocates it's funds: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

Or do people simply prefer knocking Bill Gates simply because he's been successful?

IMHO it's a strange criterion for knocking someone - but something we no-hoper Australians seem to excel at.

I guess the only success Australians value is on the sporting field - and doesn't that help eradicate diseases and improve living standards in the third world.

BTW - I reckon Warren Buffet is one of the most astute investors in the world. If he chooses to invest a larger proportion of his money than he has EVER invested into a single investment before into the Gates Foundation, he must have some very good reasons for doing so. Think about it.....

He could have allocated his money to all kinds of other charitable organisations - the fact that he didn't speaks volumes.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Sorry Acey, l have obviously came across in my post the wrong way. It was no way intended as an insult to Mr Gates, and yes l agree if Mr Buffett has put his money in that basket l am sure he must be impressed with what the foundation is doing.
Yes there has been billions of dollars put into the 3 rd world countries by many many organisations, and the point l was trying to make is we never seem to see any progress in their living standards except for the occasional feel good donate more story.
These are my opinions only and yes l still donate,but not to every charity, l am allowed to question as well.
once again sorry if my post was taken the wrong way.
cheers yadreamin

Back