Builder quote for variation is a rip off?

Hi all,

I was advised by the council to do the following for a duplex building.

council stormwater engineer had recommended the following steps to be taken by the builder;
? Ensure that the proposed driveway crossing complies with Council?s standard profile ASD208 (including freeboard above top of kerb).

? Provide freeboard to habitable floor levels above the top of the swale (300mm)

To which the builder gave me a quote of $20,500 (+20% builders margin) as give below.
Building area is around 300sqm and I was under the impression that simply land could be filled to raise the level by 300mm which would not cost much.

Do you think the builder is trying to pull a fast one on me?

Attachments

• quote.gif
    quote.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 166
Hi bashworth,
Thank you for the reply.
Your link is very enlightening!

I am wondering what if I refuse to do this as I have received DA approval before this?

The engineer has recommended or instructed?

You need to have a chat with your PCA as they will be required to sign-off the build and give you an OC.

Hi Bargain Hunter,

Thank you for the reply.
As far as I know, it was a recommendation by the stormwater engineer after the DA approval was give as the site supervisor thought land might get flooded.
Sadly can't contact the stormwater engineer during the holiday season :-(

Thanks, what you are saying is true.

It had never been flooded.

Recommendation was due to an open drain adjoining the site.
So now the builder is ready to jump at the chance to rip some money from it, as the developer only suggested this to the council!!!

Back