Building an L Shape Vege Box *HELP*

Hi guys,

Wanting to build my fiancee a vege garden around this concrete slab. Not sure how to go about doing it, or what wood or anything. Basically want an L shape around the back half of the slab. I'm wanting it to be nearly waist height. Should I just concrete a few posts in each corner and then run timber from one to the other?

If anyone can help an uneducated chef on how to build a box that'd be great.

Thanks,

Michael.

zwc0ie.jpg

There doesn't look like much space by the time you put in the walls if you keep it off the slab, why not make one big planter box over the slab, or buy one of those tin ones from Bunnings (much easier :)

Treated pine sleepers.

Buy a heap of treated pine sleepers (work out how many you will need) then cut a few down to the height you want it to be and use them as uprights in the corners. Using hex head coach bolts fix the rest of the sleepers horizontally to the uprights (you will need to drill holes for this, larger ones in the horizontals for the bolts to fit through and smaller ones in the uprights so the thread of the bolts 'bite' in) in whatever shape you want it to be.
Ideally you will need a circular saw, power drill and a socket set but you can make do with a battery drill, hand saw and a shifting spanner.

The only other thing I'd suggest is lining the inside of it with Geo Fabric or similar before filling it with dirt/garden mix to stop it all running out the bottom when it rains.

Good luck.

Why do you want to waste the nice leveled slab on a veg box?
A planter box doesn't need to sit on a slap. I would use this slap for a garden shed.

Using treated pine sleepers you dont need posts at all.
Simply screw/nail together at corners.

Sleepers come in 200mm wide by 2.4m long or even 3.0m
Stack 2 high (400mm) or 3 high (600mm) and there ya go, simple !

Why do you want to waste the nice leveled slab on a veg box?
A planter box doesn't need to sit on a slap. I would use this slap for a garden shed.

I think the OP wants it "aournd" the slab (i.e. in the space btn slab and fence).

Personally, I'd just dig up the ground and forget the raising bit.

The Y-man

Plantar Box.png

If you want it waist height, easiest way would be to get a couple of sheets of corrugated iron/colorbond and some star pickets. Punch the star pickets in the ground just inside the slab area and as close as the fence as possible. Then, you could use some tie wire to attach the sheets to the posts, and neaten off the ends with some strips bent around. Ignore my dodgy paint drawing, but you get the idea.

Wouldn't be a masterpiece, but simple, effective use of the tight space, and cheap.

pinkboy

You may prefer to use galv iron/colorbond , hardwood or untreated timber - the copper/chromium/arsenic based preservative treatments do wonders for your health.

Why do you want L-shaped veges?

Back