Building Construction Date

If an IP is older than 10 years how do you accurately find out when a building was constructed?
The insurance co. asks it & for taxation build w/off they want to know.
Local Council doesn't keep records more than 10 years & don't know elsewhere to check.
Building & QS inspect seem to have a wild guess. Is this the norm?
Cheers from Brenda Irwin

I purchased a property in Labrador Qld and I was told to look inside the electrical meter box for the original pest spray date. I did find the original spray date which is close enough to the construction date.

I needed that myself recently. Similar situation with the councils.

I spoke to some neighbours and found out the approximate age. then I discovered one neighbour who knew, and was still in touch with, the original owner-builder of my IP. I'm sorry to say that he couldn't produce any of the paperwork but he gave me a month and year.

I married this info up with the details on the title and presented it to the QS who was happy with that (probably because it meant I couldn't claim building deprec - too old!)

Maybe a neighbor might have paperwork stating they were done at the same time. Body corps can be good for that too.

Some councils do hold records older than 10 years but you have to pay up front for a physical search through their archives in storage. In my local council that search may not produce anything which means you blow your money. I got the plans for an IP that way which can have the Occupancy Cert. number and date on it.

Just a hint if you do. When you apply for the search, ask for copies of all the info contained in the file because another request requires another fee.

Hope this can help. Good luck

Denkel

Thanks Guys,
But doesn't anyone know if there is a gov't data base with construction dates listed? With 20 IP's it would be very handy to be able to just login & look it up. Are the dates any great secret? How do councils officially list houses as Heritage; just ask anyone left alive?
Cheers Brenda

Back