building costs - melbourne

Hi all,

Can someone give me a simple breakdown of building costs for a 300k average new house in Melbourne. This will be going on a 700 sqm block (potentially might consider 2x townhouses).

e.g.

architect fees 10-15k
concrete slab 10-15k
roofing 20-30k
kitchen shelving 6-8k
bricks 10k
bricklaying 10k
electrican - 10k

etc etc

(the figures I provided where just plucked from thin air)

I may be about to start a rebuild project after fire damage to IP and would like to get a overall feel for where the majority of costs sit.

Last edited:
Most builders won't break it down like that - they will simply say xxxx for this design. $300k would build a pretty awesome house I think - the things you really need to know are demolition prices, council fees, finishing fixtures (lighting, landscaping, carpets etc) then if you are going to subtract that off the $300k or use your own money. Plucking figures from air I think $100k should do all the extras and $200k for a single storey house.

This link gives you some ideas of houses that cost $200k and less to build
http://www.realestate.com.au/new-ho...ry-1?activeSort=price-desc&source=refinements

If you are thinking townhouses then OC1 on here can give you a price and what the options would be for your block.

primaus - if you want to get a cheap build then you go to a spec builder like Porter Davis etc. They can't be beaten on price for a simple build. You can get a quote from $800-$1,000 per sqm quite easily, with minimal inclusions of course.

To build a house for $300k should not be a problem, however this will depend on your site {level or sloping}, design and finish chosen. For the same floor plan you can easily spend an extra $100k.

If you can develop the land and the numbers stake up, why not go for that option. In Melbourne on 700 sqm you might get three on it. I would spend my time and energy considering the development potential. Good luck.

Back