Building inspections - to rescind or not?

I'm in the process of purchasing a property which is still within the timeframe where I can rescind the contract due to an unsatisfactory building/pest inspection. Just need some advice about whether the issues found might be enough to warrant not going through with it.

Property was advertised as fully renovated, which I could see from the photos that it wasn't but it was very neat. I suspect the photos are less than recent. Building inspection came back with a lot of minor maintenance issues and some "major", mainly to do with the front and rear wooden stairs (it's a highset 40-50 yr old house).

I'm not a builder, so not sure of costs/seriousness of some of these:
Treads - woodrot to joins/ends, some loose, fall hazard
Handrails - missing, fall hazard
Fixings - many rusted/missing
Decking timbers - some boards only span 2 joists.

Also two ceiling fans and a hot water tap don't work.

I've asked for a $2000 reduction (just under 1%) or just the fans/tap/handrails to be fixed before settlement. The rest I'll wear - unless someone here warns me I'm up for huge sums and should terminate immediately!

At this stage, if they don't agree, I'm terminating.

Cheers for any help on this.

The stairs are very expensive to build with prices 10K and up are common,depends if it is a double entry.
A photo would get you a better price?

I would suggest to replace the step treads, new handrails and fixings, replace some decking timbers (2 joists only is dangerous in case one nail comes loose, you have a see-saw and your foot can go through the deck) would be 3k'ish materials and labour.

Can you get a builder in to give a ballpark figure?

Perhaps the stairs need total replacement or might just need treads replaced etc. Knowing a ballpark figure gives you knowledge and then you can work out what you want to do.

It would be good to have some photos would then be able to provide better advise. What you have highlighted are not major issues and all can be fixed. I would not terminate just because of these issues.

Putting a price on fixing the issues raised is akin to how longs a peice of string need a lot more info.

What I would do is speak with the inspector and get his advise and possible rectification costs. Or get a carpenter / builder to give you a price ASAP.

If you can get a reduction of the repair cost plus a bit for unforseen variation in the repair of say 10% why not proceed with the purchase.

Of course any replacement works you do now will be a capital expense so depreciated over 40 years (I think thats the time frame ) assuming its an IP.

Do you sums and in the end your call.

Thanks
Brian

Where is the property and is there a link on realestate.com.au that you could put up for forumites to view?

Cheers
Sheryn

Back