Building Insurance - dual occupany

I own/live in a house. It is 2 story.
Downstairs - 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, living, lounge, kitchen, deck and own entry. This is self managed on a lease agreement.
Upstairs - 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, living, lounge, kitchen and deck. I live upstairs with my husband. Own entrance through our own double lock up garage.

The thing seperating us is where a door used to be it has been since boarded up so you can not get through either way.

My concern is building and contents insurance.

Currently I have all my insurances through ANZ/QBE including this. I have building and contents for the entire house and contents to cover my contents plus fixtures for downstairs - approx $80-$100k.

I have been told by ANZ the do not cover this scenario and have called a few other companies that also state they dont cover dual occupancy unless on 2 titles which it is not.

I have made claims in the past for leaking roof, lost contents with no issues but am more concerned if house burns down/broken into.

Any idea where I can find out what companies cover this scenario.

All my other IPS have Landlords insurance but for this case I am not conerned wether I have this covered or not. Main concern is H&C.

We had our insurance with CGU but have since sub divided and sold 1 off, a bit different as ours were under same roof but both ground level and joined at garage/carport space.
cheers
Graeme

Hi,
recently been in similar scenario where have multiple ppl living in same house.
was a bit hard to find but i ended up taking cover for 1 house 5 leases.

google MGA brokers, the QLD office is the one that have this kind of cover. i hope this info helps.

I own/live in a house. It is 2 story.
Downstairs - 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, living, lounge, kitchen, deck and own entry. This is self managed on a lease agreement.
Upstairs - 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, living, lounge, kitchen and deck. I live upstairs with my husband. Own entrance through our own double lock up garage.

The thing seperating us is where a door used to be it has been since boarded up so you can not get through either way.

My concern is building and contents insurance.

Currently I have all my insurances through ANZ/QBE including this. I have building and contents for the entire house and contents to cover my contents plus fixtures for downstairs - approx $80-$100k.

I have been told by ANZ the do not cover this scenario and have called a few other companies that also state they dont cover dual occupancy unless on 2 titles which it is not.

I have made claims in the past for leaking roof, lost contents with no issues but am more concerned if house burns down/broken into.

Any idea where I can find out what companies cover this scenario.

All my other IPS have Landlords insurance but for this case I am not conerned wether I have this covered or not. Main concern is H&C.

Your problem here is that the property wasn't designed to be a duplex, and a lot of Insurers would just prefer not to cover it. The biggest problem would be if there was access between the two but you have stated that there isn't, so they probably need to be convinced of that, but they may have liability concerns etc. as well. I've spoken to one of our general brokers and he's certainly insured them before, but there are a limited number of insurers that will do it. He's happy to make some enquiries to see who might be able to help. I will private message you his details if you would like to speak to him directly.

Back