Building Insurance

When getting building insurance quotes should I put 'rebuild value' at around the purchase price of 250k(buying in west Sydney), or should I estimate a more realistic value of actually replacing the building component in case of fire etc? If I overestimate rebuild cost and pay a higher premium, would I get a payout from insurance then organise rebuilding, or would insurance organise repairs, and stop halfway if they can't get repairs done for the estimated rebuild price I've given them?

There is no point in overinsurance as they won't pay out this amount. Likewise, underinsuring will leave you short. If you are getting a qs to give you a depreciation report, get them to provide you with a replacement value of the building at the same time. Otherwise a valuer would be able to do the same for you.

Insurers will provide you with a guide for replacement value, qs websites also have guides as well. Other things to consider are how much does the insurer allow for demolition, architects/engineering fees etc, loss of rent etc.

Back