Building one at the back. Thoughts please.

This week we went to a metricon dual occ. seminar in regards to building another at the back of our property. We're currently in the investigation phase of our build.

As this was meant to be our PPOR, we were looking at the Alamain. I say meant, but if cannot fit what we want on the block, we happy just to build a townhouse for investment only. Looking at the site drawings, Alamain doesn't look like it's going to fit very well behind the current house.

Their townhouses and floorplans are on their website here:

http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/multi-dwelling/dual-occupancy/

The sales consultant has recommended the Burwood (not sure why).

The costs also surprised me. I was budgeting for around the $300,000 mark, but it looks like if we go with them, even the Burwood, would come up closer to $330,000, if I factor in about 10%-15% for landscaping, driveway, extras and contingencies.

My initial conclusions are:

- metricon is that they are a very big company and the quality of our build and the way the project will be handled will be dependent on who they give us as a site superviser/builder etc.
- Their range of dual occ. solutions are more catered for the investor, and not PPOR, as it's very limited. If we decide to go down the track of building a PPOR, we will need to engage draftsman or architect.
- Prices are expensive, however, they charge $10,000 for the initial phase, which is up till the plans are approved by council. That is excluding any objections/disputes.
- Not sure of their timeframes, they mentioned they had 94 current applications to various councils. They have their own town planning department and the sale consultant was also seemed pretty knowledgeable about some of the councils nearby.
- Metricon appealed to me as a one stop shop, for someone with little understanding of building projects. Although I would still get an independent inspector in for some QA at various stages.

Anyway, I'm interested in anyone's thoughts.

Attachments

• Alamein Siting.pdf
    166.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Burwood 21.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 242
  • July Price List.pdf
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,618
Metricon et al are good if you want someone to take care of all the town planning etc for you. As the Burwood is about 150 sqm (not including 40 sqm garage), you'll be paying about $1,500 per sqm for everything.

That's pretty normal BUT you have to look at the inclusions very very closely. The standard inclusions here are laminate benchtops (yuck) and I can bet you the tiles they put inside are going to be the small, cheap ones. But since it's for an investment only it's no big deal.

You should definitely shop around other builders to try and get a better quote/deal on on either the cheap inclusions or get better inclusions for the same price.

It is not much cheaper for project house with Metricon. I get a quote 20 square custom townhouse from a builder and the cost is quite similar.

By looking at the so called Metricon townhouses, they are just smaller version of their other standard range.

I always believe townhouses for backyard sub-divisions should be custom designed to maximize building area. We are recently developing a 14 square townhouse on a very small block (16m x 15m of available space) where we had to provide backyard and garages to both existing and new house. There was no way any of the Metricon display homes would fit on this land.

Willing to take a look

Hi Mr and Mrs Wilton,
I am an architect with multi-residential development experience.
I would love to have the opportunity to come and look at your site and discuss options that are available to you (no obligation) and provide you with some pricing solutions. I know a couple of good builders and one in your area that can work on a pricing guideline for your development, again at no obligation, free of cost.
Please feel free to give me a call on
03 9804 7036 or 0412 36 36 25
Or email me [email protected]

John.

Back