Building over sewer Q

I'm subdividing my land(Brisbane) and have the options for the back block - move sewer line or bridge over it later when I build.
I did some searches and everyone says its expensive to bridge over it but no-one said how much. Has anyone done it before and have some figures? Eg. we did 5m of bridging in 200x and it cost xxx.

thanks
Chris

i bought a block like this - everyone thought it was a 3 unit site but i got the 4 units by paving over the sewer line and builidng the unit behind the sewer line. paving and carports over sewer lines is allowable.

unfortunately the existing one will be under a house slab by about 4m or so with the house positioning I want. Also the driveway would be under it for a few meters but not sure if you have to bridge over that. I tried to call the inspector I talked to a week ago and have left 3 msgs with no reply, so glad he gave me his direct # :rolleyes:
I'm going in now to have a chat with someone and put in some paperwork so I'll see if they know anything....;)

You cannot build a house over sewer lines big no no as for moving sewer lines it can be very expensive but as has been said paved areas can be. councils also tend to not want to see a carport built over the sewer lines as you can also accidently bust a pipe.

unfortunately the existing one will be under a house slab by about 4m or so with the house positioning I want. Also the driveway would be under it for a few meters but not sure if you have to bridge over that.

Are you referring to the main sewer line that would be under an easement, or a private line from an existing house to the main sewer?

Build over sewer is done on a regular basis. We poured two slabs this week on a splitter block in Margate that included a BOS. This was for a two story home.

This process quite simple and a lot cheaper than sewer relocation. The process involves drilling piers on either side of the sewer line and a concrete bridge between the piers. On a typical small lot you will need around five bridges. The cost per house will be around $1500.00

Sewer redirection can only be done by the council. You will also need an inspection point on either side of the property. The biggest challenge is that you will need a two meter by two meter clearance around the inspection point which makes designing your house challenging.

If you need us to quote on your dwelling please feel free to contact us.

battler, its a private line from the existing house to the main sewer. I just talked to a different guy (actually the first persons brother, both inspectors sitting beside each other!) and he said it has to be redone.

toylux95, he said you can bridge over a sewer and build but not over a junction and my junction just happens to be smack bang in the middle of the yard. So my only option is to move it and dig up the old junction and cap it.

sailesh, long time no see, when you coming back to monday night meetings?
wow $1500 is cheap as chips, I was thinking way over that by what ppl say but the problem is no-one actually had any real figures, it was just hearsay.
Those inspection points either side are only if you move their sewer line right?
:: fingures crossed:: They said I didn't need manholes or inspection points when I had asked both of them but I'm not sure who to believe now. I will get a quote from you as soon as I get this sorted.

I have no idea why his brother told me I had 2 options (move or bridge the junction) but I will just move it and stay on the safe side.

I paid for the designs today so Ill wait and see what other gems they make me do next week.

sailesh, long time no see, when you coming back to monday night meetings?

Been busy lately with major tenders and working on getting our building company compliant for the National code....we want to be one of the first builders in Qld to have this accreditation. This will open the door for multi million dollar contracts with the Federal and State governments. They currently face the problem of having lots of work but, not many builders qualify.

If your sewer line is the house connection then you will not need to go through the BOS process. You can get your plumber to cap the existing sewer and the council will provide you with a new connection point.

sailesh, not sure i follow this part. The house connection joins the mains sewer in the middle of my back yard. The mains sewer runs left to right thru everyones backyards.

I know i can dig up the old connection, cap it and the council then inspects it. no problems. From here i thought they do a design plan, which i just paid for, and 2 construction quotes, 1 for if they do the lot, 1 if they do the live work and I do the rest.
Are you saying the council are meant to provide me with the new connection point for free or something. Also the mains sewer is 1.5m deep, are you saying I don't need the BOS process even though a house would go right over the top of it?

thanks
confused chris

Sorry to confuse you Chris. If the main sewer line is running through your block and your are building over it then you will require a BOS. This has to be engineered. A BOS application needs to be made to the council who finally approve the procedure.

Since the main sewer line runs under your house the council will need to tap into the sewer and provide you with a new house connection in your back yard. Your plumber can then run the house lines into this point.

I hope this clears things up for you. If you need further clarification feel free to call me.

Back