Building over sewer

Hey guys, just though I'd ask for comments after the council was less than helpful today.

I have an IP with two flats and a shop. At the back of the block (with side lane access) is an old termite infested garage. Two temporary poles are holding up the beams that have already failed! The council sewer currently runs underneath the this garage. The neighbour has built a 4 car carport over the sewer and paved the entire backyard.

My DA for a concrete floor garage replacing the old one has me replacing the entire sewer at my cost and a pier and beam footing bridging the sewer for 11m by 900mm. To make matters worse I can't build over the sewer at the boundary. So my rectangular garage has a 2m by 2m chunk cut out of the corner. mmmm..

My pockets aren't deep so I'd like to change it to a large carport with fences on the boundary and a roller door. Paved floor is the plan. Does anyone have experience of councils allowing removable or lightweight construction over sewers?

Cheers Pulse

I know of a relative's home where a largish garden shed was allowed (early 1990's) to have a slab floor with the viewing port for the sewer marked with white paint. The shire was Peppermint Grove in Perth. The shed was metal construction.

I have seen some faily impressive shed's go up without coucil approval using the "temporary structure rule".

Maybe you could argue that your structure was temporary, but I dont think you could argue it with a concrete floor, but compacted deco or roadbase is OK.

In regards to the above post by Tizzy, you may find it still is a piered slab, and as the council has told me on numerous occasions, " It doesn'y matter what happened last week".

Bloss

Back